Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-380 quick update video

It's Alive!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXW6_kLXFB0
Now I need to finish recapping and do some de-oxing and an alignment.

Nice work shop . Iuse to live in Wake Forest back in 73 & 74 Iwill be watching your updates.
I watch a lot of theses videos helps sometimes fixing problems be surprised . Icon_biggrin

I read one of Ron's posts about the rubber wiring on the 42 models.
Now I know exactly what he was talking about.
During the recap, it's change a capacitor, change a wire. Move a wire over and be prepared for it to disintegrate.
The only real problem was the (IF) can. All the wires coming out the bottom shed their insulation so I had to remove the can and carefully rewire back to the terminals the inductor windings are hair fine, actually hair is thicker. I've been trying to use the same colored wire as original. You have to look inside the wire to see the original color because the oxidized outside is all grey/brown/black/greenish.
Still lots of pop and static and on the high end of the AM band I'm getting a buzz from the florescent lights. Icon_confused

On theses old sets pick up a buzz from just turning a switch on . Try turning on microwave oven big buzz .
I grounded mine helped a lot . Cleaned the tuning condenser to helped. I had alot of problems out of the rubber coated wires until i wrap them in heat shrink like Ron talked about.
Blew some electrolytic caps rotten wires. Icon_mad Icon_biggrin
Denver.

Don't discount the 60Hz hum that is frequently reported from the fluorescent lights in your shop... Icon_biggrin