Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA 813K Radio

Hello everyone, just got done restoring my latest acquisition a RCA 813K console radio that I picked up in February in northern Kentucky. I normally don't collect RCA radios but I liked the looks of this radio and I'm very pleased in how well it plays--it is loud and has lots of bass. I didn't have to do any alignment and compared the spread-bands dial accuracy with my Tecsun PL-660 and the frequency accuracy was excellent. It did take me 2 days to clean the chassis as it was very dirty and I replaced most of the rotten rubber wiring. Overall, I'm very pleased with the radio and now I need to get a RCA 816K next Icon_biggrin    Ken

Attached Files Image(s)

Very nice!
Have had a couple of those.
murf

Very nice... How did you get the radio chassis that clean? Good job. It must of took some time to get it to look like that.

I have an RCA 812k console and a 816k console radio . I am missing the 813 console from my line up..... maybe I will start looking for one...

I found this picture in an online auction years ago and thought you might appreciate it. Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy with what appears to be the same model. Your set looks great! Love that big bold dial! 

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

It took 2 days to clean the chassis using WD-40, nearly 400 Q-tips & a terry cloth--it cleaned up nicer than I thought as it was quite dirty originally. I had to rewire the fidelity switch back to what the schematic called for as someone in the past rewired it and it didn't work right when I first tested the radio. The cabinet is in excellent shape which is good as I'm not good at woodworking. This is the first RCA in my collection as I mainly collect Philco radios and have 2 Scott 800B sets and 2 Magnavox console radios. Now I'll have to find an RCA 816K to go with it.   Ken

Hello Ken,
Wow that is Beautiful myself I am restoring the Chassis from a model 811K and let me tell you these chassis are built like a tank as you know, and I sure would enjoy having one myself.
Anyway, the radio looks great!

Sincerely Richard