Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 70 antenna

Is a long wire antenna directional?
Does the signal enter the antenna at right angles or straight on?
Would a circular long wire antenna, say 40' or more longer pull in signals from all directions?
Would a coaxial cable from the outside to the inside terminating at the radio be best to eliminate house generated interferences?
What size coaxial cable would be recommended if at all, i.e., RG8?

Hi and welcome to the Phorum.

A long wire antenna is directional but radio waves are hitting the wire from all directions, the ones from either end generate the strongest signals depending on many factors.

Circular antennae seem to have the all around good result.

Coax is generally used to transfer the signal captured on the antenna to the radio input. The grounded shield will reduce noise interference.
Here's a link to a large thread with examples of DIY antennae used by Phorum members. One of the posts I explain my Ethernet Antenna where I used six feet of ethernet cable to make a 48 foot antenna coiled up in the radio cabinet.
https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...et+antenna

Thank you Rob.
Is your "Ethernet Antenna" as sensitive as a long wire and what shielded cable do you recommend for the lead in from the long wire?
Your antenna will work in my 1937 Zenith console as the cabinet is large, however the Philco 70, a cathedral cabinet is much smaller.
Keith