Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Size fuse for line in for Philco 48-1270

Greetings! I restored a Philco 48-1270 a while back and added a fuse to the line in just before the terminal block. I used a 1.5 A fast-blo and that held up fine until recently. I switched on the set first thing in morning and it blew in the first second. I can’t find anything wrong with her. Working fine right now. Do you think 1.5 A is a bit too small for the startup? She’s rated at 140W which I believe may be steady state. Anyway would appreciate some voices of experience.

Try a slow-blo before raising the amps.

That’s a good idea. I was concerned about going up. Gonna order some right now. Thanks!

+1 what David said. Current draw on start up is highest as the tubes warm up. Slow blo fuse should be enough. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Hello Bigreddog,
Yes, I almost always use a slow blow as the rest said that first inrush of current when those tubes are cold is where the current is the most like when you first turn on a lightbulb !

Thanks all. I know it’s a small thing but I am bad about sweating the small stuff. I guess that’s why I put the fuse in there to begin with. Happy Easter!

I wouldn't consider a fuse added as "bad about sweating the small stuff". Always try to err on the side of safety; it usually wont do you wrong. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Put the slow blow 1.6 A fuse in this morning and she is singing again!    

The other choice, which I have installed in my 53-1750 is an Inrush Capacitor along with a regular fuse.