Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Speaker quick fix?

Ok, today has been fun. Running down the stairs(yeah, mom, I know) to get the door before FedEx drove off, I had to grab the rail. Not only did I get the usual friction burn from the crappy paint on the iron rail, but I nailed something with my knuckle, and ripped the skin off. This after slicing the tip of one finger on a tool box the other day, quickly followed by an errant exacto knife blade jamming, point first, into the side of my thumb. This was just to let you know how things have been going along the past couple days...

Anyway, when I went to recheck my voltage testing, one probe slipped when I was picking them up, jumped over and nicely punctured the original speaker cone, in otherwise excellent shape.(On the bench to test the radio with. Otherwise, usually happily in the cabinet. Only damage is a tiny hole, the diameter of a probe tip. Is there a successful, quick repair I can do to prevent further damage? OTHER than calmly put down all tools, carefully turn out the lights, and walk away quickly...)

Scott
(apparently lucky to survive voltage testing without electrocution, the way this week is going. Oh- and I get to play with KC10As tomorrow...)

Old Cars, Old Radios, Old Pipes and Young Women... What more is there?

Gently touch a drop of white glue (Elmer's) to the hole just enough to cling there and let it dry. Use the end of a very small screwdriver or the bare end of a wooden q-tip stick.

There will be enough moisture in the drop of glue to "wet" the paper cone around the hole edge and it will be fine when it dries.

Many guys use a temp piece of cut-down and sized cardboard, twist-tied to the front of an open speaker to prevent this kind of "D'OH!" event.

It has happened to the best of us - you're not alone in the 'How to Kill a Speaker' class. Icon_wink

I'm just working on staying in the "How NOT to kill a Scotty" class... lol

Thanks for the advice- I'll give BOTH a try!

Scott

Old Cars, Old Radios, Old Pipes and Young Women... What more is there?