Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

question about a Philco Tropical Model

Ηello! I am a researcher at the Folklore Center, Academy of Athens, Greece visiting the Philco Phorum in order to document a Philco radio of the Center's collections, and I recently joined. I need help from Philco experts in order to document a Philco Tropical radio (seems to me as a 50-1424 model but I am not certain) combined with a Garrard Model RC 75 m Automatic Record Changer (made in England, 1948;). It seems possible that the combination was assembled in England.
Have you seen this combination, is possible to identify the Philco radio model and year of production;
Thank you,
Evangelos Karamanes

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the Phorum!

It would appear based on the fact that the turn table was made in England (assuming the turn table is original to the set) that the entire set was probably made there rather than in the US. Unfortunately we don't have much information on Philco Tropics made in England. Hopefully someone on the Phorum will be able to provide you with some additional information. If you had a photo of the back of the radio chassis, there is often a label or plate with model number information on it.

Voltage and Hertz would be right for Greece if it is a English made set. 1948-1950 time frame is when England starting using the wall outlet and plug they use today please post a picture of the plug on the power cord which should be 2 round pins for Greece. Welcome to the Phorum

If the unit still has its original back, it should have a model number printed on it. It will likely be four numbers, preceded by an A or a B - for example, A.1234 or B.2345.

If you can share this information with us, we might be able to track down something if it is available.

Unfortunately, service (and other) information for British-made Philco Tropic receivers is not always available anywhere, not even on the UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration forum.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks you so much for your welcome Ron and David! yes the unit still has its original back, and the model number printed on it is A. 3661. Its definitely made in Britain.

The plug on the power cord is not the original. The present has 2 round pins as the model has been in Athens, Greece since the early 50's (as far as we know). 1948-1950 time frame seems possible?

All the best,

Evangelos

Thank you for your welcome to the Phorum Ron and David. 

The unit still has its original back and the model number printed on it is A.3661. The original plug on the power cord does not exist anymore. The present has 2 round pins as the the unit was in use in Athens, Greece since the 1950's (as far as we know). 1948-1950 time frame seems possible?

All the best,

Evangelos

Thank you for furnishing the model number.

The UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration group issued a DVD filled with schematic diagrams and service information for many British-made radios. I have a copy of this DVD and I looked. Unfortunately, your model is not listed in this DVD set.

I am sorry I cannot help you further on this subject.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello Evangelos,
Welcome how exciting is this it is nice to see someone here from Greece !
Sincerely Richard

Thank you Ron, for your generous help! Hello Richard, greetings from Athens!
All the best,
Evangelos