Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mystery Control

Can anyone tell me how to get the dial off a mystery control?
Thx

Greg B

I found that the domed center section of the dial un-screws - counterclockwise. Beneath there are 3 brass screws. this is as far as I have gotten, but I think that the dial stop should be removed first, it is secured from the bottom. My dial is so warped that it appears to be stuck and I have not gone any further until I can spend some '"quality time" in performing this operation. Good luck with yours.

Thanks, I will give that a try. Mine is warped as well and I would like to straighten it and give it a polish as well.

Greg B

If any of you find a way to unwarp these dials, please let me know. I've had one sitting on a can with a 2lb magnet on top of it for four years, and it hasn't done a thing. Icon_sad

https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...rol-dials/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

See the link below, this is what I am going to try.

https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...rol-dials/

Greg B

Ron beat me to it

Greg B

I just finished using this method and as the old saying goes, it's flat as a pancake!

Greg B

WAIT, much to my dismay after doing this I did get a nice flat dial but the Tenite has gone white. I am trying to polish it back to the colour it was but so far it's not looking good.

Greg B

Oh oh! Could the excess chlorine that is in the city water this time of year (to deal with the runoff) cause a bleaching effect?

It's possible but not sure, I had to sand the white crust off and then polish it and it looks ok but is very much lighter in colour than the centre piece and the dial stop. Also the white crust is in some of the finger holes and it seems almost impossible to get out.

Greg B

Maybe it was just really dirty, with cigarette smoke and 80 years of dirt on it...
I've cleaned very dirty knobs before, and they form a white crust in all the groves. I clean all that off with GOJO cream hand cleaner. But that's on bakelite. Not sure how that would work on Tenite...

Greg, you could try rubbing in a coat of paste wax (Johnson's?) and buffing it out with a Dremel tool fit with a cloth polishing wheel. It might bring some of the color back to the surface. If not, it will be SHINY and white! What do you have to lose by trying? Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I did polish it, got rid of most of the white crusty and it is nice and shiny but very pale in colour compared to the centre cap, it will do for now.
I have built a battery pack for it and tuned up the radio and got them both on the same frequency and it works amazing. I am very impressed with how well it works for 1939. I do have a bit of a mechanical issue in the stepper mechanism as it jams up every one in a while. I will keep plugging away at it.

Greg B

What colour was the dial before you boiled it? The one I have, that is untouched, is a sort of peanut butter brown, or the colour of caramel , with a swirly in it. I'm not sure whether this is original or if it oxidized to that colour. The dial on mine is slightly warped but not enough to stop it rotating.
Regards
Arran