Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 49-901 - Horrible (Garbled) Sound

Hi Ron,

Your SSTRAN sounds better than my Talking House and just about any AM Station in the NYC Area. Very clean!

With all of the computer based stuff, IOT (Internet of things) stuff, CFL and LED Bulbs, WiFi, 3, 4, 5G, etc., it is difficult to test a radio. I took an Emerson 888 out into my back yard, and about 50 ft away from my house and neighbor whose back yard abuts mine), I could get stations. The closer I get to my house, the power lines, etc., the worse it gets. It doesn't help that in my area, armored cable or metal conduit is not common. (Of course, every time I add a new circuit, I thank God that the local code allows Romex and PVC Conduit!).

Even out in the car, unless I get onto the Parkway or Long Island Expressway (the world's longest parking lot), AM Reception is horrible. I am only 50 Miles from WABC, WFAN, WOR, WCBS, WINS, etc., all of these being 50KW Clear Channel stations.

I am going to try an outside ground for my Talking House Transmitter.

I am still lighting candles for you and other Cancer Warriors at Church. God Bless!!

MrFixr55

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

MrFixr55,

Thanks. I guess I need to hire Cousin Brucie? Icon_eek Nope, that isn't going to happen.

I have been very pleased with my SSTRAN ever since Debbie bought the kit for me for my birthday several years ago. It's too bad they are no longer available (unless you find a used unit on the auction site). I actually had mine shut down for more than a year, only putting it back into service recently to give me something to listen to on AM radio, since all I can pick up around here is a Spanish station, a few talk stations (weak), and a couple oldies stations (very weak).

I had a Talking House transmitter several years ago - model 4.6 - and I never could get the hum out of it. I sold it.

Actually, I don't listen to AM very often. I prefer FM, and for that, I stream JIB on the Web over a home FM transmitter. Icon_thumbup I used to run my own beautiful music playlist, but I prefer hearing JIB's announcers in between the good music.

Oh, and thank you for your kind words and deeds! Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN