Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

restoring chrome chassis

Good Evening all,

I wonder if any of you have had experience of restoring a rusty chrome chassis - without totally stripping it? I see there a quite a few "chrome paints" around - especially in the USA rather than here in the UK - and while I doubt if they actually have the exact finish of chrome, they might well be near enough for a decent job. Getting the existing rusty chrome back to a half decent surface for the paint seems the most challenging part of the job, but I figure that if one removes as much as possible from the chassis to begin with, and goes gently it should be possible. Anyhow, the real point of my post is to ask if anyone has had experience in this area? Any advice much appreciated - as always. Regards, Jonathan

I've had good luck with Rustoleum Hammertone sprays. But mostly on amplifiers which are easer to disassemble than radios. If you're only worried about the appearance of the outside of the chassis, you can remove everything from the top, mask off the tube sockets control shafts and holes (these from the bottom with a bit of masking tape, grind, sandpaper, naval jelly, scrape, then clean off all the crud with paint thinner. You may be able to salvage the labels, if any, by carefully running a razor blade underneath them. You can then scan them, touch them up on the computer, and print a new set.

Clean and retention the tube sockets if needed before you paint. With some amps, I chisel off the rivets on the tube sockets, and everything else, and end up with a blank chassis. I've done this with quite a few Hammond Organ amps which I then convert to guitar amps. I suppose if you have a national treasure made out of iron, you could send the bare chassis to a place that re-chromes car bumpers. They would pickle it and replate it, and scratch their heads, but, hey, the customer is always right. I've never had anything on my bench worthy of that much attention. (Keep on hoping I will see a McIntosh amp sitting out on the curb on trash night.)

In that case, use stainless steel screws when you remount everything.

If you dare to use steel wool, use a magnet from an old speaker to get all the crap out before painting. If you do this, several applications will be needed, and it really needs to dry for a week or so before you work on it. I don't care what the can says.

Aluminum IF transformers and most tube shelds respond very favorably to brasso or gojob, or even toothpaste. If you are with me, also the bells can be taken off transformers, cleaned up, and sprayed with glossy enamel. Dial faces should be very tenderly cleaned with mineral spirits or paint thinner, and do test in an inconspicious place first. Never water!

Well, you will get several more opinoins, I'm sure. Stay tuned