Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Clock Radios 1940s

Hello all: Seeking info on early development of clock radios in the 1940s for all table radio brands except Philco. And it appears Philco only made two, the PT69 in 1940 and the 41-22CL in 1942. I have an extensive collection from the 1950s, but when I discovered those 1940s Philco models, I began wondering if other manufacturers had experimented with clock placement before WWII shut down production. Interestingly, both the PT69 and CL22 clocks are just that--- clocks. They couldn't wake you up, put you to sleep, wake you up with an alarm, or make your coffee! Cheers!

There are a few more Philco models which were made prior to WWII:

1940:
A52CK
A52CK1

1941:
41-KR

1942:
42-KR5
42-22CL

Model 41-22CL is a 1941 model. The 41-22CL and 42-22CL are identical, other than the slightly different model numbers as it was made for two model years.

And, yes, all of the above were just radios with clocks. They did not have alarms, buzzers, or the ability to wake you up or put you to sleep to music.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Is there any reason 570 has been omitted? Or Grams clocks are not parts of this topic? Made prior to WWII too!

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well, I omitted the 570 grandfather clock because I forgot about it! Icon_crazy

A few grandfather clocks with model 52 chassis are known to exist. I have one.

Also, there was a 551 Colonial Clock and an 80 Jr. Colonial Clock.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yep, by reminding of 570 I meant all those Icon_smile

They felt like chopped liver and cried to me to be reminded of Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.