Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 89 Dial

I have read to use mineral spirits on Philco dials. Does this pertain to the "89" as well.
I have just started to restore this 89. It is going to be challenge.

Jim
Spring Lake MI

I've used Novus #2 plastic polish on my 37-116 dial. It's not for the feint of heart.
  • Just use a small bit of polish on a cotton swab. Don't want to get it "wet".
  • The unprinted areas clean up easily. Work up to the numbers/letters/lines and stop short.
  • Clean printed area by very gently rolling a swab it over the area. Remove residue with dry swab, gently roll.
  • I then wiped it very gently with a microfiber cloth.
  • The black ink seems to be tougher than the blue ink which seems to be tougher than the red ink... Your dial's only black, right?
  • Experiment on an inconspicuous area, like the part number if it's out of sight.
  • If it looks like the printing's getting lighter, STOP.
  • Don't rush.

Try this at your own risk. Maybe I was just lucky. Icon_wink

Has anybody else done this?

I've also used Windex on my 38-2. Similar process, but more "dangerous" I think.
It started out as an accident. Windex mist drifted onto the dusty dial while cleaning the tubes Icon_eek .
The dust became blotches, so I had to clean it somehow.

Can't think of anything witty.
Greg O.
Whitehall, PA

Mineral spirits does work well on any Philco phenolic dial scale (including the model 89). But when using it, do not scrub - do not rub hard. Just wipe it on and wipe it off.

ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, DO NOT USE WINDEX!!! Also, do not use water!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron.

Jim
Spring Lake MI