Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dial for model 87

Finishing up restoring a model 87 and I'd like to replace the dial.  Went to Mark Oppat's page and he has no listing for the 87.  Looking at images on the 'net it looks as though the model 86 and models 511 thru 514 use the same dial, plus the part number on Mark's page is the same for the 86 and 5xx models.  Can anyone confirm that those dials are the same as the 87?  Thanks, Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

1. Have you tried to simply clean the dial, provided it is physically intact? Looks like a possibility.
2. Try this

https://www.radiodaze.com/philco-87-dial-item-ds-c057/

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I restored a 514 a couple years ago and it appears to be the same mechanism. Has 2 metal dial cords on either side of the wheel.

The dial scale used in the 511 Series of Philco radios differs significantly from the dial scale used on model 87 (and models 65, 76, and 85).

All are made of brass.

All are the same size and width.

The difference?

The 511 Series dial is calibrated with an arbitrary 0 to 100 scale, while the 65-87-76-95 dials are calibrated in kilocycles (kHz). I don't remember for certain but I think the 86 dial is also calibrated 0 to 100, like the 511 Series.

The Radio Daze dial is made of plastic, I think. The Radio Daze ad states it has a white background, which will stand out like the proverbial sore thumb in your radio, but it would be better than nothing, I suppose.

You can place an ad in the Wanted Ads section for one, although nearly all of them have wear to a greater or less degree.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for your replies.  Tried cleaning, started with plain water and went only as far as Windex.  Cleaned up somewhat, but it's not just dirt, but approaching rust.  Looks like my two options are either a 0-100 logging scale, not 100% sure the size, mounting centers are the same, or the white dial from Radio Daze.  It's a paid restoration, so I'll have to check with the owner.  Thanks again everyone.

Have you tried mineral spirits?
Try in an inconspicuous place first.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.