Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Whooshing sound

So I took the whole radio outside to the balcony and all the broadcast stations come in a lot clearer now. So that means the issue is inside for sure. I am not sure what to do at this point but I am willing to buy a loop antenna if it makes sense to give it a try just need a little help on which would be a good choice to buy. Any help would be appreciated. By the way I really don't have any way of climbing on the roof to run a straight wire so the balcony seems to be my only choice for the antenna.

Thanks,
Carlos

Does your balcony have metal railings? if so, try running a wire (like hook up wire) to it. If not metal, run about 50-60 ft. of wire back and forth around your balcony. Then add a short wire from grnd. on radio to grnd. screw on outlet to see if that makes a diff.

I have the radio back inside now ( it was going to rain )

Ok please let me make sure what you are saying... run the 50-60 ft. wire around the balcony and connect it to the antenna post on the radio which is inside? I have the ground on the 3 prong power cord connected to the chassis of the radio now.

-Carlos

yes, connect the wire directly to the antenna post and see what happens

Quote:I have the ground on the 3 prong power cord connected to the chassis of the radio now.
That is about the crappiest ground ever. Its like connecting to a source of NOISE!

A counterpoise would be a better choice if there is no EARTH connection less than say 25' away, shorter for Short Wave. Home utility ground at some distant point in the home electrical system in not the "Signal Sink" that some may wish to believe. Remember all those switching devices that bypass the noise to both neutral and the "U" ground.

Grounding to the "U" on the outlet is a two way street.

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

I would agree with that, Chas; in my situation I have no true ground, and connecting the chassis to electrical ground did improve the signal somewhat. A counterpoise would be a good thing to try! I have yet to put up a good long wire and drive a ground rod, but it's on my list.
-Simon

okay so I ran a 60 foot plus wire around the balcony and back inside to the radio but that did not really help out. What if I ran a shielded wire from inside to the balcony and then a long wire connected to the shielded wire would that help ? If the loop antenna is still an option please let me know.

-Carlos

Carlos, I don't think I would spend $50. on the Amazon loop, as it is intended for SDR receivers with SMA connections.
Coax will bring the signal in from outside, but it sounds like the 16B itself is receiving the interference when inside your apartment so coax and loop may not work.
-Simon

Carlos, do you know which schematic is correct for the radio you have?

From what I have seen there is a version with a "squelch" circuit. An active circuit that quiets noise when in between stations.

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Between TVs, Digital TVs, CFL and LED light bulbs, computers, cell phones and the remote readable electric meters, AM is a horrible place. I used to have an article on magnetic vs electrical interference, but, of course, I can't find it. (It may have been from the Phorum.) If you use coax as a lead-in, the length and style may be important to have the correct standing wave ratio. You may also have to create a matching transformer. You HAMs, please jump in as this is a little outside my wheelhouse.

I have an Inverted L Antenna, running from my shop to a tree about 75 Ft from my shop, at about a 45 degree angle from NYC, where the vast majority of the AM Stations in my area are located. This, along with a water pipe ground does work well, even though it is not directly aimed at the city and the tree is southeast from my shop. I am due east of the city.

In addition to a good outdoor antenna, a good "Hopkins" filter is useful. These are available on the "bay" or can be scavenged from newer CRT Type TVs

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

a tuned loop will help make it 3 - 4 ft. on a side you can find plans to make one on the internet.

Chas, I have the early version set with the squelch circuit and it lets you adjust the noise in between the stations but I get the whooshing on most of the broadcast stations when they are tuned in and the squelch has no effect on them. The radio plays really well when it is located outside in the balcony. I keep thinking I can run a rg-58 coax cable from the inside of the apartment to the balcony and then attach a long wire to the center conductor outside but I guess I can be wrong. I am not sure what a Hopkins filter is but I will do a google search on it. I just hope I can make the radio play well somehow inside the apartment, it took me a long time to restore the chassis. I see "vinzer" suggested a tuned loop but I need some instructions on how to make or buy it. Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks guys !!

-Carlos