Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I NOW OWN A BOAT ANCHOR???

I think the earlier version of this radio had 25L6's in series whereas the one you have did the 50L6's in parallel. There was one of these radios buried in a shop near me for years. Had a price tag on it, but I couldn't get close enough to it to see if the front lid was missing or folded under the radio. A couple weeks later the owner of the shop cleaned up and the radio disappeared.

No matter where you go, there you are.

+1 on the above comments. Definitely follow Ron R's instructions to place the power switch in the hot side of the chassis (25Z6 Plates and Heater) and have the "Neutral" at the B- "Mecca (- terminal of filter cap, 50L6 cathode resistor, 6SQ7 heater and cathode, etc.; and everyone's comment to replace the antenna, ground and chassis to "Mecca" with safety caps. The Neutral should have a wider blade (not thicker) than the Hot. I don't know if polarized plugs were popular back in the 40s.

Best Regards,

John "MrFixr"

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Now, having seen how a ground was intended to be connected by the designers of the radio, I concur - and agree with all that the three capacitors (antenna, ground, and the one between chassis and cabinet) with safety caps.

Thank you, Gary, for posting a schematic.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm fast finding out that this was a conglomeration of parts from wherever they could get them. There are at least four different capacitor makes represented. Tube makers include Sylvania,Tung-Sol, Ken-Rad, RCA, and Hytron. Just putting the final touches on an order from Sal for caps. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

A few questions are already surfacing as I put together a parts list for this radio. The two big dry electrolytics are 40uF 160v. Do you see any issue with replacing them with 47uF 250v ? Also noticed direct to chassis caps on both pin 3 on the 50L6's (.005 400v). Should those be X caps also? Should I replace any and all caps with X caps that are attached to chassis? Since there is essentially a path to neutral with the .05 cap on the hot leg, does this also provide a ground without an external wire? I don't see any evidence that the GND terminal has ever been used.
Starting a slow cleaning of the set as I wait for my parts order. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

Gary - Westland Michigan

On the 47uf filter caps, I would not worry. Older caps were frequently specified with +/-20% or eve 50% tolerances. If you are worried, check what is specified for the rectifier, in terms of max capacitance. I'll have to look at the schematic again to comment on your other questions.

Cheers

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Thanks Ed. Appreciate the help. I'm still putting together all the parts to restore this radio, and want to do everything to make this set a safe, operating example.
Having read a multitude of different articles, I've found that this radio was kinda like the EDSEL of it's day. The plans to market this to servicemen was seriously set back by the unexpected end of the war. Additionally, they were marketed against offerings by Hammarlund who was marketing a radio with more features and at a lower price than the Minerva. That just makes it more unique in my book. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

Gary - Westland Michigan