Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-460 poor tone quality and squeals on stations

I have just finished recapping my "Hippo" 48-460. The set seems to have too much treble and sounds shrill. Also, the volume control doesn't have to be turned very much for the set to quickly play very loud. I followed the schematic and replaced the capacitors one at a time. Also, I don't remember where it was connected to, but it looks like a previous repair had a .001 400v paper cap in the audio section. It wasn't shown on the schematic or parts layout in Ryders so I clipped out the capacitor. I wished I had made a note of where it was connected.

Would changing the .02 capacitor from the 50L6 plate to floating ground fix the tone issue? After that is completed, the set is going to need realignment as I replaced all caps in the RF and oscillator circuit in the same position the originals were in. The set has high pitch squeal when some stations are tuned in.

Does anyone know where to get a new volume control with the long shaft? The on/off switch is broken. Had to wire around it to test the set. If I can't get a replacement, I might have to just insert a line switch in the ac cord and be done with it.

Yes the cap from the 50L6 plate (pin 3) to gnd will change the tone. The larger the cap the less highs you will have. You may be able to repair the switch or just replace the switch. If you end up replacing the whole control you can use one with short shaft. Just use a small piece of 1/4 rubber hose to couple a 1/4 rod to the shaft. Check your gnd connection at the volume control if it is open that can cause the volume to increase rapidly.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry