Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA 6 RF 9 Livingston

Picked this up at one of our swap meets in the spring.....very nice, 8 inch speaker, 9 tubes, excellent reception. 

Dial was in good shape as well as pointer which is often broken on these, it has been cleaned up and plays very nice. 

One of my better RCA's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92577012@N...300798953/

Paul

Tubetalk1

It reminds me of my parents' Zenith radio / record player. It had an AM radio and a 3 speed cobra-matic turntable. It was a table model like that with a mahogany cabinet. Nice find.

Nice looking set and I like the dial illumination.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Good looking set!

It sounds as good as any of the 50's era Zeniths which I also admire, there is a bakelit version too, see one buy it.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Great find, Paul. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Have the 1R81 Livingston.  Nice sound, blows the doors off the similar looking Zenith 7H820 AM FM that also has an 8" Speaker but hey, a 6V6 Power Amp running at 250V beats a 35B5 or 35C5 at 130V (the selenium rectifier yields higher B+ than a 35W4).  However, Props to Zenith, as few sets using a 35B5 or 35C5 sound this nice.

FM doesn't work on mine yet. but AM is good and piping an Aux signal into the Amp of this radio yields a warm pleasing sound.

Changed all paper and 'lytic caps to no avail.  I don't have a signal generator, so will have to play games with a working radio.  2 strange things about my radio are that the chassis is copper plated (RCA almost always used Cad plating in the 40s, 50, and 60s, and all the paper caps were PHILCO!!!???!!! (and these were originals).

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Odd, but you encounter many things in this hobby. Good luck with it.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Very nice looking radio! You can’t beat that vintage of AM/FM set for sound quality.

Tony

“People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it”

It was find at the NEVEC meet, one of my better ones.

Paul

Tubetalk1

I have been unable to take this one out of my listening room, anyone have any experience with these. Other than the 6V6 and the nice speaker is there any other reason this set sounds so good, general engineering, tube complement?

Could not find a schematic on Nostalgia air......

Paul

Tubetalk1

Hi Paul, Use schematic for 3RF91, which is the plastic version. Bill