Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-10 Original?

This was in the basement of a property my husband and I purchased and cleaned out.  I would like more information about this Philco 38-10 radio.  I'm not sure if it's a reproduction or not.  The radio appears authentic, but I can't find the exact cabinet in the gallery and the backing on it is a thin piece of Avery cardboard.  We hear static as we turn the dial (new outlet plug was put on cord at some point).  I would appreciate your assessment.  Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Yes your radio is an original. Looks like it is a Philco model 38-10XF, a 1938 model. See the link to a drawing (we don't have a good photo of this model in our gallery): https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1938c/#Model_38-10XF

The grill cloth on your radio is not original. It would have had the chevron cloth seen in the gallery. Do not power you set on until you have the radio serviced. All of the capacitors need to be replaced at a minimum. Your tuning dial escutcheon is also missing the outer ring. The cardboard backing is also not original. Most Philco sets did not usually have a back to them.

Hi and welcome,

The chassis in your set is a 38-10 and the cabinet is the XF. That's what makes it a 38-10XF.
The original finish as been removed and something has been applied to it. To put it back to it's original finish it would need to be stripped, sealed, grain filled, toned, and clear coated in lacquer.
As Bob mentioned the grille cloth is incorrect. There is two different chevron patterns. An early 1934 or so to 1937 and then 1938 & 1939. The early pattern is just about available in reproduction. The '38/'39 is still in the works.
I included the service info just because it has some basic specification.  https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%202.pdf I'll mention in passing don't clean the dial w/water the print will wipe off. Use mineral spirits rub gently
It's a good player I've had the table top model (same set but has an 8" spkr vs the 10 1/2" of the console).

There's probably more than you ever wanted to know about any radio.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hello drhx2,
Nice Find I too have a 38-10 tabletop radio and it really works very well .
Good luck and welcome aboard .

Sincerely Richard

Thank you, Bob, Terry, and Richard.  I really appreciate your sharing your expertise and suggestions!

Congratulations on getting a great radio. A while ago I restored a table model of the 38-10. In many ways it was the successor to the 37-61, a model I restored some years ago. Here is a link to my thread on the 38-10. You may find some useful hints in it. Good luck with your own. https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=22318 

Thank you, Mike. Your work is impressive and clearly displayed/explained. I'm going to enlist my brother's help and ask him to join the forum and check out your thread.