Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 212 Grill Cloth
Photo 

Happy to report I am the new owner of a 1931 Philco 212 radio-phono. Not very common with a unique grill cloth that is shown in the attached. I want to recreate the grill cloth - but how? should I try for the photo finish route?     

Andy Sorrell
Palmyra, Virginia

THAT'S and extremely hard cloth to try and re-create! It's possible that you could have a small custom weaving outfit try to copy it...

I have a Concert Grand and I have the same problem of a damaged grille cloth and a special demask pattern. I've been able to locate a close replacement.

This almost looks like a gobelin (tapestry). To recreate this you might spend enough money to by an unrestored 1000Z. Or maybe even a restored one.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

This is going to sound unorthodox, but you might try a silk-screen T-shirt shop. The pattern could be reproduced, and then screen inked onto the closest matching fabric you can get. It wont have the texture of the original, but should make a respectable replacement. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I once bought a Radiola 103 speaker grill cloth from the radiolaguy.com ( https://www.radiolaguy.com/Radiola_103-s..._Cloth.htm ). It was printed on a cotton cloth rather and a woven product but looked good. I'm not sure how he did it or if he shopped it out but you could contact him and ask how he did it.