Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 16B restoration

Terry,

With the round trip 110 miles, it is 5.5 gallons on my Jeep which at the current prices is the cost of shipping, give or take. And Rich, I guess, does not perambulate much to give me the facility tour. Maybe next time, when the weather is good, pandemic is over and Rich is fully accustomed to his new joint.

Anywho,

I have just finished aligning that radio.
So, I guess, maybe tomorrow I will detach that speaker, pack it and ship it on Friday. I looked at it again....I really think it needs a good cone and new spider. Even though it sounds OK.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hello morzh,
That radio chassis is coming along nicely !
Yes I agree about the cardboard also I have notice some these old seakers are fairly brittle !
Sincerely Richard

Rich

Somehow the 37-116, 38-690 and some other radios I have with 45rpm spiders survived just fine.
This is the 1st one I see like this.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The speaker is on its way to Rich Stamer.

Has been a while.

The speaker came back from Rich Stamer.

Can't wait to hear it converting electrical signal to acoustic waves. Icon_lol

It took Rich a bit as he was going through hip replacement. He is feeling good, going through physical therapy and moving about, doing work on speakers. Even though he said he was pushing all the work 'till February, mine got done nevertheless.

So hopefully today I will assemble the whole thing together as the chassis's been taken care of.

He does fine work, bet it sounds as good as it looks.

Paul

Tubetalk1

BTW, this 16's grill cloth: is there just one kind of chevron pattern (color-wise) or are there more than one, and which one should i order? Including the size?

Mike Katz has this

https://radiogrilleclothcom.square.site/...se&q=false

I have not found any chevron in Richmond Designs.

The standard sizes in Mike Katz's place are 20-1/2"x10", 20-1/2"x15" and 20-1/2"x25".

I measured 14"x11" as the cloth is glued and not stapled, so no extra is needed.

Finished.

I glued the grill cloth yesterday.  This was somewhat more complicated than the others I've done. The frame is cardboard, but not rectangular, so stretching was a bit more involved. I used push pins and a smooth surface cardboard box with saran wrap on top (to prevent the glue, if coming through, to glue to the box's surface; I use 77 spray glue), stretching as I went, sticking the push pins to hold the cloth to the cardboard. Other than that, it went fine.

These are the results.

Really nice looking!! Great work on the chassis too. If that speaker has a modern spider and is 8" or bigger, I'm sure that that thing will sound great with the 2 42s in push-pull Triode Mode

Does the radio have a phono input? I know based on all the restuffing that you likely don't want to put a phono / MP3 jack in, but I bet it would sound great with a direct input!

Congrats on the great job!!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

The speaker in the shouldered tombstones are 10" ones.
Yes it has modern spider, and this thing sounds amazing.

No, I do not have the phono input. I, after all, have a 38-690 tuned to the transmitter. And yes, it would sound great.