Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Crosley 819M shot me!

With one of the dial bezel screws of all things! I was checking the radio out and noting the lower left corner of the dial bezel looked more warped than it used to and it suddenly let go when I touched it. The bezel split where the screw went in, bounced the screw off me and then off the dial glass before it went clattering off under something nearby. So, I now have a split dial bezel, but from what I can tell no cracks in the dial glass at least. Must have been under a fair amount of pressure before it let go like that. The upper left corner screw did something similar a year ago, but not that dramatic. I'll have to get some better light on the radio later as it is not in an area with great light and my flashlight decided to die tonight as well. Little switch on the flashlight went 'crunch' instead of 'click' when I tried to use it to check the damage. Well, I was happy until that...

No matter where you go, there you are.

Bummer, I have had some odd things happen. Had a guy gift me an Emerson and when I tried to flex bakelite I broke the whole top!

Tubetalk1

Yup, Paul, Bakelite is NOT flexible. It is BAKED in a mold to cure it, and once cured it is hard, but brittle. Remember how that RCA 5Q55 arrived here? That's bakelite.

[Image: https://64.media.tumblr.com/450c88caa15e...1_1280.jpg]

I destroyed a nice little Philco bakelite years back by tripping over my own two fat feet while carrying it. Down I went and ended up bruised, skinned, and had a destroyed radio on the floor in front of me. Worked great until that.

No matter where you go, there you are.

You did pretty well with that one Mike, came out good. So the guy who gave me the Emerson is in the trades, he found it in a cleanout, it was winter, he probably had it in his car overnite it was cold to my touch, I knew better and could see it coming, then pressed the top and oops! The chassis is very clean, and he claimed it played, lots of little Emersons use the same chassis so may will find a case at a meet. I felt bad it happened and twice because he was nice enough to bring it to me. Here it is, could probably repair, though my last epoxy job went well but seperated after about 2 years on a GE..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92577012@N...951320280/

Good luck with yours Jayce.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Hello Jayce,
I once years ago pulled a RCA tv off of my bench and I could not believe the picture tube did not get broken .
Sincerely Richard