Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-89 with 37-89 chassis

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum. But have been in the hobby for around 2 years. 

I just got this Philco 38-89. It's in fair shape. Photo finish looks good, all coils/ transformers ohm out good. Good start. But it appears to have the chassis from a 37-89, the big takeaway being that the alignment points are under the chassis rather than on top of the tuning condenser.

Anyways, the big question I have is: Why does this cabinet have the chassis from the year prior? Is this something Philco would do? Were they just using up some spare chassis? Or is this some sort of late/early production of the 38-89? The tube lineup posted on the inside of the cabinet also doesn't match the 38-89's lineup (another 6K7 instead of a 6U7).

I also notice it has got the wrong knobs. They almost look like some Philco knobs, but from what I see, they weren't used on the 37-89 or 38-89. But I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input, take care and have a great day!

Attached Files Image(s)

Nick, my understanding is that crossover models like that are found fairly commonly from Philco, yes. Looks legit to me.

I concur.

Another point to consider - your 38-89 is a Code 121, which is likely identical to the 37-89 chassis. The 38-89 Code 125 has the trimmers on top of the tuning condenser.

That 38-89B cabinet first came out at mid-season of the 1937 model year, and Philco kept making it for the 1938 model year. They likely also used up their existing 37-89/38-89 Code 121 chassis before switching to the Code 125 chassis. Typical of Philco in those days.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN