Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chassis Difference?

Hi fellow Philcoites,

Can any of you tell me is there a difference in chassis between the Philco 39-40 and the Philco 40-195? Long story why I ask, more later. If anyone knows please post or EMAIL me at n9vu at yahoo dot com. Thank you.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Night and day differences. You're comparing Apples & Oranges here.

Different tube complements; 8-tube vs. 11-tube

Different circuit design, obviously due to above.

Different tuning ranges and number of bands; 2-band vs. 3-band.

Etc, etc, etc...

A few of the things in common is that they both have pushbuttons, have push-pull audio output circuits, and were both made by Philco. Icon_wink

Chuck Schwark Wrote:Night and day differences. You're comparing Apples & Oranges here.

Different tube complements; 8-tube vs. 11-tube

Different circuit design, obviously due to above.

Different tuning ranges and number of bands; 2-band vs. 3-band.

Etc, etc, etc...

A few of the things in common is that they both have pushbuttons, have push-pull audio output circuits, and were both made by Philco. Icon_wink

Thanks Chuck.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

What Chuck said, plus no loop antenna in the 39-40 - it required a longwire. The 40-195 has a built-in loop.

Similarities: Both have about the same size chassis, both use thumbwheel controls, one chassis would fit in the cabinet of the other although the end result would be a Franken-radio (not that it hasn't been done before, even by me - I have a 660X cabinet with a 116B chassis inside, and my 66-S came with a 60 chassis).

I think perhaps this is what you were looking for (i.e. would the chassis of one fit the cabinet of another)? Remember, if you put a 40-195 chassis in a 39-40 cabinet, you would have to make provisions for the two loop antennas (the oval AM loop and the flat SW loop that mounts under the cabinet top). Not original, but does save an empty cabinet and orphan chassis from being discarded...it would work until you found the proper chassis to go into the proper cabinet, anyway.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi,
I have a 40-195, and my 39-40 chassis is now up for auction on Ebay until late Monday night. I was able to put the 39-40 in the 40-195's cabinet when its chassis was on the bench, but the pushbuttons needed to be a different length. The 40-195 has 3 bands, the 39-40 just two (no police band). I believe the speaker is the same for either set...

mrphilco Wrote:What Chuck said, plus no loop antenna in the 39-40 - it required a longwire. The 40-195 has a built-in loop.

Similarities: Both have about the same size chassis, both use thumbwheel controls, one chassis would fit in the cabinet of the other although the end result would be a Franken-radio (not that it hasn't been done before, even by me - I have a 660X cabinet with a 116B chassis inside, and my 66-S came with a 60 chassis).

I think perhaps this is what you were looking for (i.e. would the chassis of one fit the cabinet of another)? Remember, if you put a 40-195 chassis in a 39-40 cabinet, you would have to make provisions for the two loop antennas (the oval AM loop and the flat SW loop that mounts under the cabinet top). Not original, but does save an empty cabinet and orphan chassis from being discarded...it would work until you found the proper chassis to go into the proper cabinet, anyway.

OK. There was someone locally offering the 39 chassis. I have a 40 cabinet with chassis, but the dial glass is broken. The chassis I saw is working, glass in tact but this doesn't appear to be the viable alternative for repair. Onto the dial glass dude then.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU