Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Michael Katz - RadioGrilleCloth.com

In case you haven't noticed, Michael Katz has some new patterns of grille cloth available!

Take a look -
https://www.radiogrillecloth.com/products

Notice he now carries Philco "Ribbed" and 1935-37 Philco chevron or "V" cloth, among others. And the "V" cloth is also available as a kit to cover all three openings in 37-116 and 116X radios.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN
Video 

Uhh no paypal 
I hate using credit card
I’ll have to be nice to wife maybe she’ll order it for me 

Sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Hello Ron,
That is great news thank you for the update !

Sincerely Richard

Hi everybody.  Good news (finally!).    I just got in my roll of Philco 60B cloth, it's a nice reproduction.  I am hoping to get it up on my website by next week.  Also waiting on samples of numerous other cloths, including the large "V" chevron pattern for Philco consoles.

Michael Katz

Thanks Mike!

The V worked nicely on my, now finished, 16B.

Q: have you ever thought of reproducing the 'Falling leaves" and "Forest" cloth used in 1929-1931 consoles?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Mike, is there a grill cloth in the future for the early Philco 20? Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Hi Morzh.  I don't know what that falling leaves pattern looks like.   I do have a small piece of an RCA "leaves" pattern, but I haven't heard from the mill about it.  My piece might have been too small, so I wouldn't mind submitting a new, bigger and cleaner piece to try.

Gary - I have thought about the Philco 20 cloth.  I know it's a very plain cloth, and I sometimes wonder if people will be happy just using the back side of one of my other patterns.  In any case I don't have a piece to work with.  If I get one I might reconsider.

Thanks for the response Mike. I never thought of reversing a pattern. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

P.S. Any suggestions on which pattern back is closest in design?

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Mike

This is the "forest" cloth.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/4863184597.../?mt=login

These are the "falling leaves".

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_111.html#
https://www.flickr.com/photos/47851553@N03/4391200082
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_96_lowboy.html

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hi morzh.    I do remember seeing that one!  I acquired a similar (same?) Philco with it and sold it to a friend, it was in great shape, and I don't have room for consoles!  I can't see enough demand to make it, even if the mill could.  The minimum order for me is 60 yards, and another mill has a 100 yard minimum.  That's enough for probably 120 - 200 or more sets, and I doubt I would get anywhere near that in orders.

On the positive side, ( as mentioned earlier), I just got in my Philco 60B cloth, and have also sent in samples to make the Zenith "swirl" - for the Walton set, and am waiting to see if the mill can make an acceptable reproduction of the RCA 103 speaker cloth.  I should know within a few months.

I'll be at the New Hampshire meet March 5 with my full stock of cloth.

Good morning Michael,

That is great news on the Philco 60 and large V pattern (1938-39) Philco cloth! Thank you for making these (and other) patterns available again.

Any word on the mid-1930s RCA "wheat" pattern?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron. Still haven't heard back from the mill on the Wheat pattern. I'm hoping they didn't lose it! I do have several other patterns in for samples and I just have to wait until I hear from them. Mike

Ok. Thanks again.

Maybe now that the holidays are over, you might be hearing more from your suppliers.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Mike

You are right, there might be not enough demand. Though if it were me, and it were available, I have minimum of two radios that have it, one was finished some 10 years ago (Philco 111), and I would gladly replace it; the cloth, even though I did not change it, shows shortages and does not look too good. The other radiois OK.

But I've seen way too many consoles being sold on eBay with the cloth like this one ripped or replaced with some kind of curtain.

Another pattern that is interesting is the one from Philco 570, the Grandfather clock. I replaced it with the pattern used on 90s/70s, but it is not the correct one after all.

If you have the time (not in a hurry), you can go to the Goodwill type stores in your area and look at pillow shams (covers). You can usually find something close to the original and it only costs a few bucks. Since most of the people who had those radios when they were new are probably long gone, I doubt anyone will notice the difference.

Bob