Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-95

Is this model suppose to have any decals, i.e., "Philco", ""On/Off". If so, can you tell me the size and placement. Thanks.

Look here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1940a.htm#f

The only decal is the PHILCO trademark above the dial.

Don't buy those PHILCO decals from Radio Daze - most of those use a font which is totally incorrect and look awful...in my opinion. I'm referring to part numbers PH1, PH2, PH3, PH7 and PH9. Use the S-M907 sheet from Antique Electronic Supply instead, and use the largest PHILCO trademark on the sheet. Sure, you'll be left with many decals you don't need for your 40-95, but your radio will look right.

When Mike Tobin first designed those decals for Rock-Sea Enterprises, I told him the fonts were wrong, and showed him examples. He corrected them...but about that same time, he sold his business to Radio Daze...and Radio Daze kept his original font design instead of the corrected design. I cringe every time I see a refinished radio using a Radio Daze decal.

Now, the Radio Daze PH8 decals aren't too bad for 1932-1936 Philcos...not quite correct, but not awful. And their PH-HiFi decals are pretty much dead-on to the originals. One could cut the "High Fidelity" off the sheet and just use the "PHILCO" above and have PHILCO decals with correct fonts.

Yes, I'm picky when it comes to things like this. I'm still angry at myself for knocking a spot of new lacquer off a freshly refinished 97B cabinet I just picked up from Barry Jones, cabinet refinisher extraordinare, yesterday.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for the information. I'm glad I asked because I had some radio daze decals.

Finished product.