Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

General Television - unknown model

Lookin' good so far!! Wonder what would happen if you took to washing the grill cloth, it looks like that there is enough nicotine and tar on it to be positively carcinogenic!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

I may try to give it a wash but to be honest I have had little success at washing these old grill cloths. In this case it’s almost invisible behind the wood grill and I do have some suitable replacement cloth so a wash might be worth a try.

The washing worked out pretty well. Here's a before & after with the wash water in the middle. I used baby shampoo with warm water and very gentle movement of the cloth in the water for about 10 minutes. After washing I rinsed multiple times and then blotted it dry on paper towels and let it air dry. It could probably use another 10 min wash but I'm going to leave it where it is.

[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eydr16icu2cpns....jpg?raw=1]

That's an interesting pattern, considering that it is rather hidden behind a wooden grille. Wonder if they had i style for most of their radios with either an open face or a grilled face.

This is shaping up to being a real nice restoration!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

The JB Weld filling the thread grooves for the knob set screw worked great. I retapped the threads without redrilling it. I also put in a slightly longer set screw so it would have an extra thread or two for grip. Set screw tightened down nicely. Thanks Gary, David and MrFixr.