Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 212 Radio Phono

Hi Friends,

Back in July I found a forlorn Philco 212. The typical "sat in a barn for 50+ years".  Anyhow, I searched for a period-correct grill cloth for as a replacement for the unique one that was damaged - a 19th century kilim antique patterned fabric that turned out pretty good. A couple of photos of the before and after shots.  Spent all summer and fall rebuilding the cabinet and veneer. Now to finish up the chassis and freshen up the Capehart drop changer to finish her up.

As Found 1:    
As Found 2:    
As Found 3:    
Today 1:    
Today 2:    
Today 3:    

Andy Sorrell
Palmyra, Virginia

And I will be toning down the bright brass color of the escutcheon and door hardware - with a dark walnut toning lacquer - not supposed to be that bright.

Andy Sorrell
Palmyra, Virginia

Looks great to me.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Wonderful job on the cabinet!!

You can turn the bright brass back to it's dark colour using gun bluing. I've used it many times when brass pieces are corroded. I clean/polish them up, then coat them.

Hello AVSorrell,
Beautiful Job on the restoration !

Sincerely Richard

Thanks guys and Brad for the idea about gun bluing for the bright brass.  I next need some assistance from someone that has access to a tube cover for a 212 - the patent listing (photo of mine is shown)     is a bit beat up. Unfortunately, it is not an exact match to the 112 - due to the phonograph component (112 has 49 patents listed, 212 has 51 listed). Looking at mine compared the one Nathan S. has on the Philco Library for the 112 (my 212 has 2 45 tubes so it is early), the 212 has two additional patent numbers and on mine part of one of the additional patent numbers is ripped off - 1,284,_ _ _.  The other one that is different that the 112 is the 1,559,679 which according to the Google patent search is for a "signaling apparatus for phonographs" (https://patents.google.com/patent/US1559...US1559679A

for the one  that has some of it missing, I have deduced it may be 1,284,072 or 073. 72 is a phonograph motor and 73 is a "means for controlling Talking machines" (circa 1918) https://patents.google.com/patent/US1284...US1284073A.  I expect the one I need is the control one. If someone has a 212 they could photo the patent label, I would be grateful - and would recreate it for Nathan to upload to the library - if not, should it be 72 or 73? -- Andy

Andy Sorrell
Palmyra, Virginia