Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mid West 7 /36

Hi everyone,Hope you  are managing to keep warm. We know that you are experiencing exceptionally cold temperatures at the moment and our hearts go out to you.
In a recent post I think I mentioned that I had bought a Midwest 7/36 at our local swapmeet as a non goer.So it was up and onto the bench today.A few preliminary checks showed the power transformer,speaker field and output transformer were all okay as were all the valve filaments (58, 58, 58, 55, 2A5 , 80 and 56 osc).Someone had kindly replaced all the wax caps and the electrolytics and a good number of resistors too.Not much for me to do really ,but nonetheless smiles all round when it burst into life.Midwest sets are rare here,the object of envy as we read our vintage Popular Mechanics especially those multitube behemoths but this one has the more modest tube count of 7.Big shout out to someone named Mike Simpson who has redrawn the schematic and possibly uploaded alignment info as well. Someone had also replaced the e.m. speaker as well,this time with a field of 2.5k instead of the specified 1.5k but it still has oodles of volume.Nice radio and a tribute to American radio engineers.

A belated Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year down under! Cold and Christmas is just a fact for most of us, just as Summer is a Christmas fact for you. That being said the storm that went through the US and Canada was earning the title of "once in a generation".
Please post a photo of your Midwest 7/36 (or several) if you can. We'd like to see it! Take care and BE HEALTHY! Happy New Year! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Don't see too many Mid West up here, especially up in my area, New England. Mike Simpson has one of the best colections of Midwests in the states, take care down there, Happy Holidyas.

Paul B.

Tubetalk1

I had a shot at a Midwest locally, maybe '96 or so. Stored in a local New Bedford antique warehouse. It was in poor condition, rust on the bezel/chassis, speaker "misplaced", cabinet in major distress some de-laminating 90% of the finish gone. I'm thinking it went through the '38 hurricane. The dealer wanted a premium, talking 2-300$. I have had my fill of such junk, I smiled and focused on a Zenith 6S (something) and got that for c-note. With a spare and an extra chassis for that model it is a future project.

He did have a "modern" creatively reworked RCA 44, It looked like some sort of HF or shortwave modification with miniature tubes. Not a recent hack but more like mid 50's. I made a $$ inquiry, but again, too much for too little... My interest was to simply learn as to what the mods were/worked...

Paul, so very right, Midwests in New England are very rare indeed.

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Do post a few photographs when you have the time to spare.
For your enjoyment here's a silent movie from 1936 that you may
take a liking to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCkFjlR7-JQ
I couldn't find a free English but the subtitles are very minimal.
I like all things 1936!

Belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry