Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Anyone sell radio backs anymore?

I'm trying to find a radio back for a small table top Philco.  I have googled around and feel like I'm getting no where so I figure this is the correct place to ask.  Any suggestions?
Thanks

I don't know that anyone ever had a business of selling vintage radio backs. Given how easy they are make (unlike plastic dial covers) the average person should have no trouble reproducing one. I would think that the most difficult part would be getting a clean, hi-res, to-scale scan of an existing back.

I have only ever needed one, for a Northern Electric "Midge". I had a couple of parts sets so I scanned the best back, cleaned it up in a graphics program (Corel Paint maybe? - it was a long time ago), then printed it in colour and glued it to a piece of Masonite Hardboard. Once it dried solid I sealed it with spray lacquer and cut it out with a coping saw and a brad point drill for the holes (brad point = clean start). I glued the antenna coil to it and it's in place to this day.

Actually, yes, some radio backs are available - and have been for some time.

A business which started out as Retro-Tronics is now owned by FYLP Restorations. Here is their price list for the radio backs they carry.

This eBay seller also offers a few Philco backs.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Now your talking, I have seen brand new ones here and there so I figure someone's replicating them. I will have FYLP see if they sell or can make one. Thank's!

Quote:Actually, yes, some radio backs are available - and have been for some time.

Nice !!  That's more than just a few.  I've never heard of this company.

(What's really embarrassing is that they are a paid advertiser over at ARF (I just checked), so I should have known better)

John Bartley Wrote:(What's really embarrassing is that they are a paid advertiser over at ARF (I just checked), so I should have known better)

Icon_lol Yes, they are. Icon_smile

FYLP does have a large selection. What I should have typed was, they offer several backs but not for every Philco model (which originally had backs).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Looks like someone shot from the hip again, I'm sure most of us have done that at least once. It used to be Renovated Radios that made and sold them, but I've never bought one myself. Most of my sets that are supposed to have a back still had one, even if it needed repair, and with those that did have a back, but was missing, it was unnecessary, like with the Philco Hippo models.
 Speaking of the Hippo sets,apparently the repro backs don't really work properly, they are too thin, and are not rigid enough to stay in place with the factory clips, on some sets it doesn't matter but on those they clips are wedged between the Bakelite and the notches in the back. If you look at an original they are about 3/16'' of an inch thick, and are a lamination of wood veneer, and cardboard. I think that given the price they should be right mechanically, graphics don't matter if they won't actually fit.
Regards
Arran

Hello All. Just joined today and this is my first post/question.
Did the Philco 37-610 Tombstone have a back? If so, would anyone know where i can get a repro or have a photo of one?
Thanks, Fred

Welcome to the Phorum Fred
Icon_wave

There was not a back on the 37-610T.

About a year ago I purchased a back for my Zenith 5R317 from FYLP. It arrived very quickly and I was really impressed with the reproduced printing. I was surprised that the thickness of the back was only 0.06", which is in my experience about half the thickness of most rigid backs I've worked with. Now the original back may have been this thin, I don't know as I never had the original back. After a year it has already warped slightly so I may at some point remove it and add some support to the inside of it. Nonetheless I'm still happy with the purchase.

Jim

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks Bob

This is the common "complaint" about these repro backs, the graphics are great but the material is thin, regardless of how thick the originals were. Some were on the thin side, but those sets had a separate frame to support the loop antenna so the back was really just a cover to keep fingers out. Why they could not offer them in thicker cardboard I have no idea, it's not like thicker gauge card stock is out of production? Also since they are laser cut an extra 1/32-1/16'' should not make a difference. As I mentioned given the pricing, they should be factory correct. 
Regards
Arran

Hello Arran,
I agree And I have a lasercutting in my classroom that I have been iching to make a back for one my radios .
In the past I made them from masonite and I have even stained and painted backs to get the right look .

Sincerely Richard

Rich
 They used to use a similar material for making the inside door panels of cars, I think they called it "waterboard" or something. You can still get it from upholstery suppliers, though many upholsterers will use Masonite, thin plywood, or plastic instead since it they are readily available. If you have a laser cutter, and know how to use it, then it might be worth experimenting, I don't have one, and would not know how to use it so conventional wood working tools would be my method. In any event at the price charged for many of those radio backs, in many cases you could probably find a parts set with the back still on it for less, especially with plastic sets.
Regards
Arran