Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CD player Philips CD880 lube

So. I ordered and 3 days ago I received the Molykote EM30-ML, and today I went to apply it.

So, first things first, I used Kluber oil to lube the motor's mearing. Not that I think it needs it but won't hurt.

Then I applied the Molykote to:

Both axes of nylon pulley and rack-n-pinion gear cogwheel.
4x grooves in the slide which are used by the CD table to go up and down.
The nylon rollers, every one.
The inclined surfaces the Disk hub holder uses to go up and down.

Then I reassembled the player and tried the slide. No change. Same exact problem as before.

Then I lubed the pins of the Disk hub holder that are used for it to turn when going up and down.
After this I could see some improvement: the table started pulling out, but after 1/3" it would stop. I applied the lube again after extracting the holder, with the same result. Clearly this one was important as this is the only point of lube, which affected the operation at all.

At this point I removed one spring pulling it down, and the slide came out without effort.

So I ended up doing what I thought I could avoid: I stretched the outside spring a bit, and the slide started coming out after this.
Then for symmetry I did the same to the inside spring.

The CD works now after the reassembly. I could see that it is just a tad sluggish when coming out, but comes out nevertheless.

Well, it could use a lube after 30 years plus, and I think it was the right thing to do. However I should admit that the lube itself has not solved the problem.

Two possible causes:

1. The motor has lost the torque.
2. The pins of the hub holder lost their smootheness to the point where even withh the lube the friction is more than it should be.

It plays just as good as it did before.

So, this concludes my efforts.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Messages In This Thread
CD player Philips CD880 lube - by morzh - 01-15-2023, 03:16 PM
RE: CD player Philips CD880 lube - by RodB - 01-15-2023, 05:53 PM
RE: CD player Philips CD880 lube - by GarySP - 01-15-2023, 06:38 PM
RE: CD player Philips CD880 lube - by morzh - 01-22-2023, 08:41 PM
RE: CD player Philips CD880 lube - by TV MAN - 01-26-2023, 09:48 AM
RE: CD player Philips CD880 lube - by morzh - 01-26-2023, 07:58 PM
RE: CD player Philips CD880 lube - by morzh - 01-28-2023, 05:17 PM
RE: CD player Philips CD880 lube - by morzh - 01-29-2023, 05:22 PM
RE: CD player Philips CD880 lube - by morzh - 01-29-2023, 08:12 PM