Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38.7 Console Model Radio

I guess as usual I will be the odd man out .... and I would caution you strongly ....

Do NOT change all the capacitors and/or resistors at once unless you are an experienced hand at tube radio repairs.

I DO recommend replacing the power supply capacitors (there are only three as I can find on the schematic) and also check / carefully replace rotted wiring that will cause an immediate problem. (not all rotted wiring will cause a problem if the set is test run carefully) The rest of the dry/rotted/etc wiring can be replaced during the post test-run overhaul as needed.

Following the step above, I recommend a careful test run so that you can identify and repair "problems" before you start replacing parts. Not much point doing wholesale cap replacement "first" if it needs a power transformer or speaker or ..... who knows?

Finally .... the reason I do NOT recommend wholesale parts replacement is because invariably a newcomer will make a replacement error. If you don't stop to test the set after each part replacement, you will not know where you made your mistake. That's when you learn to trouble shoot .... lol

As always ..... there are no rules, just suggestions by people with differing experience and knowledge, so choose whatever approach makes you most comfortable.

cheers

Terry,

You will always be ahead of me Icon_biggrin 

In less than a week I'll be 76, never thought I would get this far when I was 19, young and stupid...

Now just old and stupid Icon_lol

Coming up on March 3rd, I will be seeing a new PCP. I have experienced poor and negligent responses from my current PCP and the outfit he belongs to. So I am getting back into the the former health group, that one has the Hospital I was born in.

I have had a a couple of outstanding PCP's, and a couple of real dud's, the Brits got it right, Quacks!

New one is way Way out of town, but I don't mind, Tiverton, RI...
Sweet location with a Bay view. An Artist friend lives just around the corner.

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Hello Chas,
I hear you When I was running my repairshop I was the young guy on the block I was like 20 years old running a repair and sales shop .

Sincerely Richard

Hello Guys,
Yes I know what you guys mean darn Eyes are not what they used to be .
Well Bill lets get you started on that 38.4 !!
far as my next Philco project I am thinking of working on my 38-10T what is great about this project there is no cabinet refinishing to do just chassis restoration !!

Sincerely Richard

After the cataract / IOL surgery, the distance vision is almost good enough to not need glasses. But I have the same fixed focus issue that I had with the cataracts. I just keep several pairs of cheaters depending on how close I can (or should) get to what I have to read.

One good way for a person new at radio restoration is that if the wiring is good, replace 1 cap at a time, by cutting the leads at the cap, cleaning the length of lead left behind after cutting out the cap, looping the end of the lead, threading the leads of the new cap into these loops, crimping and soldering the junction. This leaves the wiring at the sockets undisturbed.

Practice soldering before doing so.

All caps in a radio are important but the 4 most important are the 2 audio coupling caps, the cap across the Output and the bypass cap for the screen voltages. Then, of course, the rest are important too, but those, plus the power supply 'lytics are the ones that I change before firing it up.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55