Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 90 Case Restore Question

I have been restoring a Philco 90, and it's almost back to running condition. It picks up stations, etc. but the volume control was dirty. It's been cleaned and it will be reconnected later today.  I have been "on again, off again" working on the case. I will be applying new veneer to both the grill cover, and the upper case. I'm not sure about what to use to darken the areas that have been routed around the grill and the outside edge. I'm really wanting the case to look really sharp. Any suggestions from those who have been here before?

Bob

I’ve used Miniwax Ebony wood stain for those areas on my 37-12. Not quite Black, but very a dark contrast to the Walnut finish.

Not sure if the 90 would have been treated differently, though.

mbhdesign
Michael Hennessey

Hi Bob,

That's a good question. If you google Philco 90 image  you will see all manner of shading on the cabinet. Original lacquer based finishes were used throughout. No oil based stains. In manufacturing lacquer is much fast drying than oil. And lacquer toners have a translucent look that stain doesn't.

After looking at the 90 in the gallery https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1931b/#...Baby_Grand I would use ex dark brown for the trim (Mohawk M100-209) and columns. For the front panel  would use just a little M100-0207 medium brown. Would also use a coat sanding sealer beforehand.

GL w/your project!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry