Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Atwater Kent Type L Chassis 1930

Just finished getting this AK 76 Type L TRF chassis working yesterday. I believe it was the last of the AK TRF production. For you AK purists, it was not totally recapped and most of the non wire-wound resistors were way out of spec or open.

Receives stations across the dial and distant/local switch is very effective. Lots of volume with the pp 45s. That's the Type N 12 inch speaker in the background.

Very pretty!!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

How was the wiring on the power transformer? Some of those A.K sets used rubber/gutta percha wire on the transformer leads which can perish, fortunately it's easier to replace then may sets since they used terminals inside.
Regards
Arran

The owner brought me the set with a shorted hv secondary so he decided to buy a donor set on ebay. That set is clean and the power transformer has some deteriorated insulation on the 5v winding leads. Covered it with heat shrink. Also transferred the front panel to the new set because it is in better shape.

Nice job, Rob! The old girl cleaned up nicely. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Wow Rod, that AK76 sure came a long way technologically for a TRF compared to my AK35! Very nice!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Ron, yes, the circuitry has bypass and filter capacitors everywhere but has 2 ps chokes, a speaker field coil, no electrolytics. It must weigh 30 lbs, then the speaker is another 20.

I only have 3 AKs, having restored 2 of them; when I hold a chassis in my hands, everythings creams "QUALITEEEEE". They are beautiful. They look like they have just came out from the factory 90 years after they had. Very few radios do.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.