Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 80 veneer

I am trying to restore this model 80 and have removed the veneer on the dome part due to many broken and missing sections.
Now the question I have what is the best way to get the bend in the veneer to glue it to the basic structure. I was thinking of soaking it in water then clamping it until it dries.
I would appreciate some advice on this.
Thanks,
George

Hey George this might help answer some of your cabinet question...  https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=22636

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Terry, good to hear from you,
I must have different veneer than Steve, who is the Master of all Masters. When I try to bend the veneer, it wants to crack that's why I thought of getting it wet. Also if I use Maple instead of Walnut veneer would it change the color of the medium brown walnut classic toner on the final coat?
George

Nobody would fault you for buying a "backed" veneer (easiest and cheapest is paperbacked). It's way easier to install, doesn't suffer the same resistance to bending or tendency to crack that raw veneer does and over the arch nobody will ever know what you used.

Thanks John 
I will look into that. I had a thought of using maple because the walnut was on backorder, but that will not work. I will wait for the walnut. 
George

The cabinet on my model 81 looks like it may have been maple or birch under the finish, it's obviously not a higher quality hardwood but looks acceptable. You could always go overboard but the models 80 and 81 were entry level sets, pretty much like a later AC/DC set but with a power transformer, so they cut corners wherever it made sense to. 
Regards
Arran

Arran,
Thanks for the info. I have some maple, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of grain like walnut. I am also thinking of trying to put new veneer on the front which I have never attempted. Not sure I have the talent for that, but that's how you learn.
George

After many delays and other issues I have finished it the best I can. I used maple veneer for the wrap, glued and clamped the bottom on one side and slowly worked it over the top by using my wife's steam iron, little by little. Do not know how to replace the front panel with new veneer so just sanded the inside and applied medium walnut on outer and the wrap. It didnt come out as good as I hoped, but, thats why you do things to learn.
Thanks to Terry and all and Steve Davis for the ideas and hints.

Attached Files Image(s)

Considering what the "before" must have looked like, this is turning out nice!!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Thanks for the comment Mr Fixr55,
Should have taken some before pics, it was pretty bad. Still would like to learn how to replace front with new veneer and do the cut outs for the speaker and controls.
Thats the way it is for now.

Looks good to me!

Hello George,
that turned out really nice !

Sincerely Richard

Davis and Richard, thanks for the kind remarks. 

George

Hello George,
you, welcome and man I have a real basket case that also has a messed up cabinet my veener is a mess mine is a model 89 if I remember but cabinet even had wood filler where someone has tried make it better .

Sincerely Richard

Nice job on the arch veneer - well done!