Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cleaning / waxing painted metal

Hi Pholks, 

I scored an RCA (GE) Radiola II and am in the process of cleaning and restoring.  These sets are much higher quality than the Westinghouse built Radiola III, but when new price was over $90 vs $33 for the Radiola III.

The painted brass front panel is in relatively good shape.  I washed off the nicotine using Windex, then laundry soap and rinsing.

What do you all recommend to use to shine and protect the paint on the brass front panel.  I am a little afraid of using something that would lift the finish.  I have Armor-All and Pledge, and I can buy some GoJo hand cleaner.

Thanks for your input.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

My first thought was automotive scratch polish. It is, after all, specifically intended for paint finishes. Try it on a small obscure area first to see how it does. I would first do a good clean up with non-pumice GOJO and give it a good detailing. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Mrfixr,
Sounds like Gar had some good advice and I second his Idea.
Good luck with your cleaning !

Sincerely Richard

As mentioned GoJo hand cleaner (white not orange) is always good for general cleaning. After it was clean, and if the paint was in good condition, a coat of Mother's or Meguair's cleaner wax should do the trick. If you've already cleaned it with Windex you can probably skip the GoJo (but it's good for cleaning the wood also!). The cleaner wax can be found at Walmart or any auto parts store. Be sure to post pictures!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thx Phriends, will do!

Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Started cleaning the Radiola II with hand cleaner. Amazing how much gunk that stuff takes off. Dunno if it was taking the finish, if it was, it helped "blend" it. The front panel is not perfect but much better. The inside and electronics is cleaning up rather nicely (I took the floating socket out and gave it my usual soap down and hand sprayer from the shower. The GE UV712 Audio transformer is actually good! major Plus, it is the one with the round laminated iron core. Will post pix. Amazing, construction wise, this unit is much more professional than the Westinghouse built Radiola III, though the basic circuit is similar. Phone jacks on this re enormous. Unit wired with what looks like 12 or 10 gauge bus wire. Will likely use the shoe polish trick (oxblood) on the cabinet. Pix will follow. Most of my radios do not have fin restored cabinets, but they all work. I expect this one will also. Just hafta find a pair of good 199s (none came with the set.) I may have some laying around.

Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Hello Mr Fixr,
For sure that hand cleaner works great for cleaning a lot diffrent stuff from furniture to clothes to old radio chassis !

Sincerely Richard
P.S. I am currently replacing a power cord and doing some other work on an Arvin model 664A .