Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-116 Cloth Question

My cloth is in decent shape for its age, but will get replaced when everything is apart. I have found 2 colors/shades of the chevron style - just wondering if one is more correct than the other, maybe deluxe vs standard? One is brown, the other has a gold hue to it. Mine is as its 85+ yrs old and tired, but looks to have the gold hue style. 

I attached pics of the 2 I found, plus whats left of mine.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Image(s)

Dang, my looks like your old one, a combo of the 2 examples.

edit: i looked again and i would say the gold one is closer...mine like yours is dirty

Bill

Thanks Bill. Kind of leaning that way myself. Icon_smile

Hi Doppelganger,

Judging from the front cabinet, you can have the best of both worlds. Hope you find the correct chassis, the 37-116 should really put out with the 6B4 PP Amp (these are like 2A3s). In addition, you can squeeze 2 decent car speakers at the bottom left and right to hook up to modern audio (or build a period tube amp). You can use that for left / right and the radio's audio for "center channel" a la some of the late 50s / early 60s Motorola stereos. The possibilities are endless!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Hi Doppleganger!

My 1936 116B still has its original cloth also. It’s not quite the same as the current reproductions available. Looks like Philco had a few slightly different chevron styles over the years, but more experienced Philco Pholks here can speak to that better than I can!

My cloth is also rather clean though aged. I don’t think this is “dirty” I think it’s the contrast of the gold threads cross woven onto a very dark or black cloth. 

Here’s some pics and a close up of the cloth on my 116B cabinet:

The two reproductions available seem to be “in between” (“dark cloth / pale thread” and “wheat cloth / gold thread). 

Now, Michael Katz has some gorgeous Philco cloth and everything I’ve bought from him has been fantastic. I believe he is working on the other chevron patterns, according to this post:
https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...ille+cloth

Hope that clears doesn’t muddy the waters too badly!

mbhdesign
Michael Hennessey

Thanks MrFix!

When I found the cabinet, the 14" speaker was still in it but totally shot. The three 8"(?) speakers were missing. I went to Radio Shack and bought 2 generic 8" speakers (for $6-8ea) and used them for the cassette boombox I hooked up. That worked fine for ornamental reasons, but I want to make something more permanently functional now. No interest in listening to modern AM talk radio (or doing anything remote - I utterly despise BT). I have a HUGE collection of OTR programs I want to hear through this cabinet, so how that comes to be is a question all to itself.

There are minor cabinet touch ups to do - I really like the color/tone of the cabinet and dont want to change or lose that. Probably a light sanding to remove the extra layers of clear thats been brushed on - then spray it with a new smooth finish.

Older I get the more I really like this piece of art - dont really have room or $ to collect them so will make this one count. Icon_smile

Thanks Michael for the info - I believe you're right.....there were several styles. I like the darker shade but I'm leaning towards the gold/wheat style - probably because I'm used to it. A new cloth will really make it pop. Fortunately they aren't so expensive that it couldn't be changed again if the gold is too much.

Yours is a table top model? I'm still getting up to speed on models, numbers, styles, etc. Wish I had a place big enough to have several.

Ah! I know what you mean. I have no interest in playing modern AM through my vintage radios either.

I went a different route. Restore the radio to original spec as close as possible and run a simple short range AM transmitter (set to 1100 kHz, say) connected to an iPod, iPhone, what have you and play vintage radio content that way.

The fun part is I can “tune in” the vintage radio the the show in progress. Feels real. Sounds real, too.

mbhdesign
Michael Hennessey

I almost hate to mention this as its sacrilege to many.....but have you seen what this guy did to his 116? WAY out of my pay grade but incredible (to me). He kept the original chassis for looks. I need neighbors like this.....or maybe not.

Its a 2-parter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcpF9YZY...eMakesItGo

No I haven’t seen that, though I have seen similar kinds of approaches.

I don’t advocate or condemn any one else’s methods. That’s entirely up to each person to decide.

My own rule of thumb I like to adhere to is pretty simple: “First, do no harm.” Yes, it’s basically the “Hippocratic Oath.” If my attempt to “fix” something is likely to damage, break, or be irreversible I’ll think twice about doing it. I’m very patient.

I like keeping something as original as possible and/or feasible. But also safe. I also like reversibility - if I have to modernize something I try to do it in a way that is reversible. You never know when the right part, reproduction, or technology is coming next month or next year. I like to think long term.

I also seem to ramble on and digress from the topic of the thread. My apologies.

By all means pick the cloth that feels like the right choice. It is your radio after all!

mbhdesign
Michael Hennessey

Im trying to  post an image of mine but i see no way to do that now.  Hmmmmm things have changed.  Attachments ask for a link   but not from my desktop.

Bill

How to post photos:

https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=29

https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=4407

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

OK will try this again.  Nope.     There is no place to drag and drop an attachment. per the links i read.  NONE  
Only a box that says "attachments".  I tried dragging the photo there  but it does not work
Which looks like i have done before.  Im using chrome which is updated.

Bill

Are you using "Quick Reply" to post, or do you hit the "New Reply" button?

If you want to post photos, you have to click the "New Reply" button.

You will then see a window that looks like this:

So YES - you may drag and drop one or more photos into that box.

Obviously I just did it in this very post, so it works.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

This is from the new reply button.  There is no w here to drag an attachment.  I can click above "insert an image".  i have an attachment box below that states i have used this before "you are currently using 331.54kb".  I tried dragging the image there but it will not accept it.  It does not look like yours  no hashed box below.  And then i can "post" preview" or "save"

Its ok

I dont need to post images

Bill