Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FM alignment on 51-1734

I will be doing a FM alignment on a 9.1mhz IF frequency 51-1734 radio and would like to know if I can do it using an oscilloscope such as a Tektronix 2236 and a BK 4040 sweep generator with a Heathkit SG8 or do I need other test equipment?

I forgot to mention that I also have a VTVM and a DMM.

I can't really answer your specific question but just in case you have not seen it there is an FM alignment procedure outlined in the service bulletin found in our library.
https://philcoradio.com/library/download...-final.pdf

Thank you,
I am concerned that the BK 4040 function generator has too high of an output for IF tuning for either AM or FM so I may go with something like a HP8656B and a B&K 415 sweep generator to go along with a scope such as Tektronix 2235.

I've been doing FM IF alignment using just an unmodulated carrier and monitoring the FM AGC. That's exactly what the tuning eye is using. Most of the German made AM/FM radios have alignment instructions on how to use this method. After I restored a Grundig 3198 with excellent results I've been using it on FM radios ever since. Best part is you don't need an FM signal generator or a sweep generator.