Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

GE LB-530 radio

Hi Guys,
I’m looking at an LB-530 as a restoration project. I’ve recapped it already but can definitely use help with such things as the synchronous vibrator, 2 volt storage cell and the bias cell. The vibrator and storage cell are new to me so anyone who can provide assistance would be welcome. 
For a “portable” radio this one is quite hefty! Definitely not a transistor model! - Rob 

.pdf M0008208.pdf Size: 220.54 KB  Downloads: 111

Hi Rob,

The bias battery can be 3 AA cells connected in series. You should get almost 5 volts. The vibrator can be thought of as an oscillator in the primary of a transformer. The 2 volt battery voltage is applied to the vibrator coil which pulls the armature. The armature contacts are wired to the transformer and as the armature moves the contacts make and break the 2 volts simulating an AC supply. The transformer steps up the voltage supplying a high voltage supply that can be used for B+. It appears the 2 volt rechargeable cell is a cell from a sulfuric battery like an automobile battery. Each cell of your car battery produces 2.1 volts fully charged. I don't believe you'll find a rechargeable one cell battery nowadays. That's about the extent of my knowledge.

I found an ad for your radio:

The ad appeared in the August 1941 issue of Boys’ Life:

http://onetuberadio.com/2021/08/28/gener...able-1941/

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thanks Guys! That’s a start. From what I’m seeing, the vibrator isn’t showing any signs of life. Trying to get it to function with a dim bulb tester didn’t work. I may be able to find a solid state alternative for that, which leaves the rechargeable cell to look into. 
I picked up this radio at an auction 5-6 years ago when I was just starting my AM radio fascination. Got it for a steal (I thought)! Didn’t know what I was getting myself into. It’s a neat radio anyway. Kind of has a Rube Goldberg vibe! Thanks again! - Rob

Hello Rob. The original Willard Radio 20-02 battery was a sealed lead acid cell, very similar to one cell of a car battery. It was a 2 volt 20Ah deep cycle. I saw this option ...https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/hawk0850=0004 Without knowing the dimensions of the battery holder in the radio can't say if it would fit. If room allows two could be installed in parallel getting you up to 16Ah. If not, one at 8Ah should give you at least a few hours of operation. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Thanks for the info Gary. I’ll check out the measurements of the battery box. 
My IPad surfing has shown a lot of 6 volt solid state vibrator replacement options, thanks largely to the antique auto folks, but nothing for a 2 volt synchronous vibrator. What fun is a hobby if it’s too easy? Onward! - Rob

I’ll be able to stick two 0850 batteries in the original battery case. A question for the phorum members is whether I can adapt a 6/12 volt automobile battery charger to use with the radio while I deal with the vibrator? - Rob

Hello Rob. This company may have the vibrator answer for you. https://www.pekorf.com/RVB2_Capabilities.html Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Thanks Gary- They do have what I need. One step closer. - Rob

Hi Rob,

Wow! Kudos to GarySP for finding sources for 2V Batteries and a solid state vibrator that can run from 2V.

Take away all the power supply stuff from this radio and you have a radio that runs on a 1.5V "A" Battery and a 90V B Battery. You could run this thing on a 1.5V D Cell and ten 9V Xistor batteries. This will at least allow you to test the radio before attempting to repair this power supply.

To try to run this radio on 1.5V and 90V batteries, do the following:

Leave the power switch in the off position.
Connect A and B Battery negative terminals to chassis ground.
Connect the A battery + terminal to the tube side of R11, R12, and R13.
Connect the B battery + to the "Circuit" side of R10 (The side that connects to the Audio transformer, B+ to other tubes and the "B" tab of C21.

If the radio works, then U can spend the Bux on the 2V cells and the vibrator.

Good luck!!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Sounds like a plan! Thanks guys! - Rob

As a follow up- PeKo Radio was very responsive and helpful in getting me a board and installation instructions to replace the vibrator. Good people! - Rob

Hi Guys,
Things were progressing until I messed up the power selector switch (rs-3115). It isn’t repairable. Any thoughts on a possible replacement? This is turning out to be quite a project! Thanks! - Rob