Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

89b code 123 veneer problems/solutions?

I found this 89b code 123 at a thrift store.  The face and one side are in pretty good what looks like original condition, but the other side has 
water/sun damage?  It appears that  only the top 1/16" or so of veneer is affected.  The case if i put my hand under the "ripples" is flat. 

How should i deal with this?

The ripples are pretty high.  Some flex back down when pushed and some make a cracking sound.
Try an iron with a towel to reheat the glue?
Cut through  the center of the ripples and glue them back down?  or  Sand it all down? Patch.
I then would have a flat surface to get some more veneer to glue down.

Put me in the right direction here

Thanks

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow that's kinda of a mess. I've had a few cabs that have had some wrinkles near the bottom maybe within the last 4" or so. Like yours could get them flatter but still where pretty noticeable after adding some finish to the job. Gloss really makes them stick out.

I think I would be inclined to remove the veneer and see how bad the underlying wood is. I don't think you'll be able to get what you have to flatten out like it was 80 yrs ago. The fibers in the wood have swollen from exposure to water and they aren't not going back to the original size. If the underlying wood is ok you could sand it a bit, clean out the groove in the front panel to fit the veneer in, and use a few wire nails to secure the back edge of the veneer after gluing of course.  You would also want to remove the base trim on both sides. It's held on with hide glue & wire nails. Removing this will give you access to the bottom 3/4" of the veneer on both sides.

This is just my take on it. I'm no expert just a hobbyist.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry