Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Coronado 1682

This past week I did a quick recap and repair of this 7 tube Coronado 1682. Also fixed the loose veneer on the top right rear corner and constructed a back with loop antenna from a scrap piece left over from a TV set. Has 2 bands and 3 tone settings. Nice SW spread from 9 to 12 MHz. Another one saved from the scrap pile. Owner and wife are very happy.

Hello rod,
What nice little set it reminds me of some those Philco and RCA sets in the little wooden cabinets !

Sincerely Richard

Other than the square antenna the case loks very RCA like a 28X.......and the RCA 28X was AC/DC. Yours looks like a transformer in there.
[Image: https://i.etsystatic.com/17379717/r/il/e...3_3tn2.jpg]

Tubetalk1

Very interesting schematic, definitely not an RCA. I don't think that RCA built OEM Radios for Tire and Department Stores. Coronado (Gamble Skogmo) radios were built by several companies, probably Wells-Gardner, Belmont, Warwick, Detrola, Colonial, Arvin and Kingston Radio Corp.

This radio does have a power transformer with the usual center tapped HV secondary and 2 filament secondaries. One is for the 6X5 rectifier, but the other secondary is for a series 150mA string for a 35L6, 12SQ7, 4 12SK7s and a 12SA7 for a total of 107V. Stranger yet is what these tubes are used for. One 12SK7 is a typical RF Amp, one is a typical IF amp, one is used as the local oscillator and the 4th 12SK7 is wired as a diode as a detector! They must have gotten a deal on 12SK7s!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55