Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-09 Electrolytic question

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%202.pdf

I’m working on a Philco 38-09 and I have a question regarding one of the electrolytic caps, part #45. The enclosed photo showing the blue circle is the 25 mfd cap with two wires attached to it. The two-tone yellow/green wire goes to the field coil and the red goes to Pin 6 of the 5Y4 tube where it is connected with a black wire that goes to the power transformer. I’m assuming that is my + connection for my replacement cap and the red circle is my - connection.

I’m still new to this hobby and I hoped someone could confirm whether I’m correct and enlighten me as to the purpose of why this cap is connected to the 5Y4 tube and not directly into the power transformer.     

The one going to the rectifier tube's filament, field coil and transformer - PLUS
The other one is minus.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Red circle is the - side and blue the +. You may want change the 38-09 to 38-9 it's less confusing.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I can see a Candohm...

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks Morzh and Terry.

Hi Hamilton, the answer to your question regarding 5Y4 pin 6 is pin 6 is an unused pin so is being used as a termination point. You will see this often especially for B+ or B-.

Perfect thanks Rod. Appreciate the explanation.