Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 118 Chassis Restoration
Photo 

A few weeks ago, one of our friends over at ARF let me have a Philco 118 chassis, complete with tubes for the price of shipping.
The chassis is filthy, with a thick layer of tobacco tar and other environmental contaminants. I will begin with a good cleaning.

Attached Files Image(s)

M R Radios   C M Tubes

118 is a good radio. Worth saving. Plus a cabinet might come your way at some point.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

If a cabinet doesn't come Steve's way, I can't think of anyone more capable than he to build one! Your work is amazing! Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I was thinking the same thing regarding a cabinet. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well, it could be an advebture. But the clamsheel cabinet is complex, will likely require tools made specifically for it (which is what Steve did for Philco 20) and could be a long multy-hour project. Restoring one probably is simpler.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

hello Steve,
What a great gift I got a howard chassis from one the ARF members years ago !

Sincerely Richard

Steve,

Please let us know how you go about cleaning the chassis. I really don't like using hand cleaner with pumice since it leaves minor scratches on the chassis surface. If you have a better way that leaves the chassis more smooth, I would rather use that method.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Actually on all but rust Windex works just fine.

Not for me. Perhaps for light to moderate dust, but anything dirtier needs a more serious/aggressive cleaner.

I recently cleaned up an RCA T9-10 chassis that was nasty, grungy, filthy. I used the hand cleaner with pumice since I did not know what else to use to cut through the filth. It worked great, but if you look closely at the chassis you can see the fine scratches.

I guess fine scratches are better than nasty grunge, but I'd still like to know if there is a better way.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron, I use a product called CIF, bought 3 bottles for 22 bucks on Amazon. It's a cream much like the hand cleaner but a little thinner. If you get some let me know how it works for you.

I have had goo luck using TSP, mixed with hot water, for washing chassis, it's the stuff you can buy in paint stores for washing walls, or concrete. However TSP may not cut through tobacco tar, alcohol will though, or transformer tar, paint thinner/varsol or kerosene for that.
Regards
Arran

Just thought about it.....when I worked at the factory, having to deal a lot with grime of all sorts, servicing NC tools, we used washing soda (soda ash) to take it off. It was there in bins instead of soap. Soap was useless.

I am not sure about baking soda, though it is very potent, but I am sure, wet washing soda will cut through a lot. Of course then it has to be really well wiped off and dried, but so do all otehr cleaners.....

To clean the most abandoned chassis, I also use soda ash, and then a solution of ammonia. But it should be done in the fresh air, because there will be a terrible stench, and it is dangerous for the lungs.After cleaning, I wipe the chassis with machine oil for preservation. But if there is rust, it is best to remove it mechanically, because chemical converters can spoil wires, parts and contacts.

Old Tube Radio Online Museum / Музей ретро радіо
https://www.youtube.com/user/RadioSvit?d...lymer=true

Sincerely Peter
З повагою Петро

Another option is using Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) and water on a damp nylon scouring pad. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Hello Steve,
I have a simple General Electric bakelite AA5 which is about as filthy as that chassis .
far as your chassis goes you have your work cut out for you !!

Sincerely, Richard

P.S. Peter I have never tried using Soda Ash before on a radio chassis .