Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-81 Portable

I just purchased a 40-81 portable radio is decent condition. My questions:

1. What battery(-ies) did this radio use?

2. Can a set of useful batteries be cobbled today? How?

3. Can this radio be converted to AC? How?

4. I would appreciate photos of the interior and back. No antenna on the back as acquired. Looks like an antenna may be within the wooden casethough (?).

5. Why are the back's two screw holders wired to the chassis?

Thanks all!

Frank [fpereto@earthlink.net]

Here is some good info on battery setshttp://www.antiqueradio.org/bsupply.htm
Kent.

Hi Frank,

This looks like it used a common 67.5/1.5 volt dry battery. Common in those days, anyway. Some guys have built up battery holders in a box to use with radios like this. Fill it with 8 regular 9v transistor batteries for the B+ and a D-cell for the A voltage. The B+ batteries will last quite a long time.

I think there might be a scan of this particular battery case to be found on ARF.

Yes, you need the loop antenna on this set. Otherwise the Det/Osc grid would be left floating. I'm not familiar with the set but it could be sandwiched in the lid or cabinet.

Good luck with it.

-Bill

Also, I suggest you contact Batterymaker - he makes reproduction batteries which look just like the originals, but use modern batteries inside.

batterymaker AT gmail DOT com

He's also a Phorum member and posts here from time to time.

I think I would rather have the reproduction battery from Batterymaker than try converting this set to AC - if you do, you're losing its intended purpose which was to be a portable radio.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Also, I suggest you contact Batterymaker - he makes reproduction batteries which look just like the originals, but use modern batteries inside.

batterymaker AT gmail DOT com

He's also a Phorum member and posts here from time to time. I think I would rather have the reproduction battery from Batterymaker than try converting this set to AC - if you do, you're losing its intended purpose which was to be a portable radio.

Good advice! I'm on it!! Thanks and regards, Frank