Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

replacing surfacemount capacitor

Hello Everyone,
I am repairing this D&A board on a Ampifier !
This little circuitboard has surfacemount electrolytic capacitors they are leaking so it's time to replace them.

This board is made to use either surfacemount or PC type and So I have both types in my stock .
 So what ones should I go with i know PC mount are easier and that is what I am thinking of using .

Sincerely Richard

Attached Files Image(s)

Rich

I have not understood:

1. D&A - digital and analog?
2. What is PC type? Never heard of it. There are SMT and Throughhole ones (from teh solderable types); the latter could be radial/axial. PC....not sure I know.
3. Whatever that PC type, I do not see anything otehr than the SMT pads in the footprint. Ubnless they are UNDER the soldered caps.
4. How old is the board? The newer el. caps, if from reputable capacitor house, are not known to me to be leaky, if sized up appropriately by the thermal regime/voltage. Thermal implies the ripple current, as well as the ambient temp. How do you know they are leaking?
5. If indeed the footprint is dual and accepts the TH caps, nothing wrong with them. However if they indeed are leaky, I would re-evaluate the voltage/temp/ripple current ratings, depending on where in the circuit they are.

The last thing: I would look at tantallum or ceramic caps of a proper size, which will likely fit in the footprint. Those will be good forever. Tantalum are better as ceramic ones, if soldered with iron, could develop cracks from thermal stress.

https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-compone...c=16%20VDC

These are 10uF 16V caps.

PS. Some tantalum caps have fairly sizeable ESR. Try for the low ESR ones. If possible, find out what kind of capacitor it is that you are changing, a GP or else, and go from there.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hello Morzh,
This is a Digital to Analog board from a Pioneer power amp
Far as the capacitors I have some brand new replacements in my stock
the ones on the board are leaking .

Sincerely Richard