Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 44B/16 Tuning Dial Rubber belt/gasket Replace

I just replaced the 2 smaller O-rings on the tuning adjustment for my 44B. Many thanks to the article in the Shop Talk/Techniques area for showing this in great detail and making it very simple!
Now the Large rubber gasket/belt/O-Ring on the tuning dial needs done also. I have the replacement ready to go. However, the existing one is hard as a rock, and I am fearful while trying to "dig" this off, I will damage the Dial.
The attached picture shows that there are 7 brass rivets that I could remove to prevent this potential catastrophe, but then how to re-attach the dial? I don't have small rivets, or a tool. Would a small self-tapping sheet metal screw work? If the heads stick out, will they be restricted by the cabinet when trying to rotate?
Other suggestions?
Need some tips from the Experts!
Thanks in advance.

Thanks
John N3MUN

The 3 or 4 that I've done haven't been a problem to get off. Sometimes it will come off in one piece just by pulling on them a little. If it's really brittle I would cut the rubber belt at the bottom of the hub. That would be the place where the dial is open. You may need to gently pry the belt from the hub but it a friction fit and wasn't glued on. Chances are it won't give you a fight.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry