Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-250

Hi Guys,

Im getting started on a 41-250 that was my Great Grandfarther. Has anybody refurbished this model before  and have a list of the replacement Capasitors they used.  I get very frustrated trying to convert the mmfd mfd pgf uf im not a numbers guy.

Any help is appreciated     .

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the Phorum, JK! That is one very clean example of an 80-plus year old radio. Almost looks NOS! The information you're looking for is in the 1941 RMS yearbook. Click on the Philco Radio Library icon (bottom of the page), select service info, and 1941. This chassis is very similar to a 41-280X that I have, but have not restored as yet. Good thing to see is cloth insulated wiring instead of rubber insulated. You'll also want to replace the chassis corner rubber feet. It all looks innocent enough to work on, but exercise caution with that band switch. It will teach you patience! Welcome, and good luck restoring it. Keep us posted on your progress in this thread. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

That looks like a nice one to restore. Lots of folks here to help you through it.

Hello JK41-250,
First all welcome aboard and I can see you really got nice radio to work on lots of room to work in .
Here is a link to conversion table .
https://www.justradios.com/MFMMFD.html

Sincerely Richard

HI JK,

I have one of these also. MMFD is the same as pF. Move the decimal point 6 places, or just google convert uF (MFD) to pF (MMFD). It is an interesting circuit, as it uses a voltage divider in the screen circuit of one output tube to get the inverted signal needed for the other output tube. Therefore, make sure that your resistors in that circuit are good. I have not totally finished recapping my radio, but have replaced the 'lytics, bypass and audio coupling caps.

This radio uses tubes common to Philco's auto radios of the vintage, except for the XXL. This is a very good performer, except that you need a good long line antenna to get the best from it.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

@JK41-250..@MrFixr55
I also have a 41-250 that I did several years ago and it is one of the best performing sets I have. My set has a receptacle on the back of the chassis with 3 holes that takes a special adapter to allow the use of a long wire antenna but I think it’s only for SW reception. I don’t have that adapter but this set has a built in loop antenna  that goes around the inside perimeter of the cabinet and works really well.

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Hi ron,

You may not need the adaptor. It was a balun transformer for the Philco 1941 antenna.

If you can find pins that fit the jack, the middle pin is chassis ground. It appears that one pin is broadcast and the other pin is short wave. Which is which can be found by experimentation.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Thanks MrFixr. I’ve seen people make homemade adapters, they’re not complicated but my set performs really well with the built in antenna that I’ve never had the desire to bother with the adapter. I’ve always felt my sets with the built in antennas, the 41-250 in particular, seem to perform better than my long wire sets

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Hello Ron,
Sounds Good hope you have fun with this set and get many of hours of enjoyment from it !
My latest Philco that I restored also uses those same tubes and it really sounds very nice and picks up a lot stations late at night .

Sincerely Richard
Music 

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and helpful advice.  I will update my progress as things get going.

JK

"And the young they can't loose hope cause they can't see beyond today.  The wisdom that the Old can't give away" EV