Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 118X cabinet

Seems I have a variation of the 118X cabinet that I have never seen before.  All of the Photos I have seen are slightly different on the top end of the cabinet.  Seems like this may have been a change between earlier to late versions of this cabinet.  Does anyone     have any InSite?

Thanks

Sam

It seems I've seen a photo of that cabinet variation before.

Is this a Canadian version (3118X)?

If not, then it must be a factory variant.

Some Philco cabinets were produced by more than one furniture maker. It could be that Philco changed the design during production, or else one of the third party cabinet makers changed the specs on their own and produced this variant. We can't know for sure since everyone involved with production of these cabinets are all now deceased.

When I get a chance, I'll look in Furniture History and see if more than one company produced this "X" cabinet.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, I appreciate your in sight. There is a picture of the Canadian 3118X on page 57 of your
Philco book. it is not the same. On page 48 it gets closer on the top decorative area in front for the model 18X but then the bottom is different. Maybe just a factory or third party change up.

If the chassis has a brass data plate riveted to the rear apron, or the tube shield on the 1931 models, then it's either an export set, or a Toronto made Philco. The U.S sets seem to have used paper labels on the chassis, with the exception of the 1928-29 models, maybe some of the 1930 sets as well. In any event I have run into variations in Canadian built Philco cabinets as well, I think one of mine was built by Thomas (or some other firm) in Woodstock, Ontario, another I saw was built by McLagan in Oshawa. Woodstock is near London, which was the H.Q of Sparton of Canada Ltd., so Thomas built a lot of Sparton cabinets, they are still in business making school busses. Philco Products Ltd. of Canada may have made their own cabinets as well, but I haven't been able to confirm or deny it, given what most manufacturers did at the time I would guess not. 
Regards
Arran

Great infor thanks.  This set has a paper label on the back skirt

Attached Files Image(s)