Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-60 Issues

Ok I've had a Philco 37-60 for probably 40 years. I played it every once in a while and it had its minor issues...motorboating etc... Recapped it this year and its good now more or less but its still got one issue. I can get AM and SW on it but the antenna terminals seem to do nothing. Since I've had it, I've had to attach a short wire (3 foot) on the back solder terminal on the top of the tuning condensor. Get a few stations but still not right. I've avoided the hard to get to cap under the floating chassis. Not sure if that's causing the issue? I had a guy tell me maybe the band switch needed cleaned good. I don't see that being the issue. Volume is ok on the stations I do get especially our 50Kw station nearby. Anyone have any ideas what to check next? Also where can I get the side grommets for the floating chassis? I thought I saw them at Renovated Radios or someplace but I wasn't sure which ones were the correct ones. Thanks!

I wouldn't rule out the bandswitch not making good contact. But I would also check the Antenna coil (#1 on the schematic below). You should get around 1.5 ohms total across the primary and around 6 ohms across the secondary. If there's an open winding, it definitely can cause the lack of reception and lack of response to the ANT terminal. Not an uncommon thing. A lightning strike to an outdoor antenna the radio was hooked up to many moons ago has been known to do in Antenna coils.

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%202.pdf

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Thanks I'll check both the coil and the switch