Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 29X dial string

Hi,
Does anyone have any info on restringing a dial on a Model 29X. Chassis work is complete except for replacing the dial string. I have looked everywhere, doesn't show up in any of the dial string diagram guides.

Would appreciate any help. Thanks

I don’t have a string diagram but recently finished work on a 29x, so might be able to help. If you look at the pics I’ve attached, you’ll see that the string starts with a knot tied onto a little tab on the tuning wheel, wraps around the wheel once then runs through a series of sheeves (pullies). There are a couple of them that I couldn’t get a shot of, but you should be able to see that the string heads back to the two springs attached to the wheel. It’s actually fairly intuitive if you study it a bit. It was easier for me as I had removed the entire tuning assembly for cleaning and took note of how the string ran (it was intact before I started). I had to hold the assembly in one hand as I strung the string through the sheeves. Don’t know if that makes things clearer or not. If you’re still confused, I can try to partially dismantle it and draw something that might make more sense.        

Attached Files Image(s)

Thank you so much for this!!!! I am going to study it and then I may have a couple of more questions if you don't mind. Does the dial string loop around the tuning dial shaft pully, does't seem to be enough tension to turn the dial when I turn the knob, but could be the way I strung it. I'll keep trying.

Hi,
    I am attaching a picture of how I think the dial string goes based on your pics. Let me know if this looks right or not. Does it make any loops on any of the pulleys/sheeves? Did you have to adjust the spring tension on the tuning knob to prevent slippage?? Doesn't appear that there will be enough tension on the control knob to turn the dial wheel, but I will give it a try. Looks like there are two springs instead of one, where exactly are they attaching?

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

To get enough tension, the springs need to be stretched further. I’ve shown where the springs need to be on the pic you uploaded. Maybe this pic will help.

Attached Files Image(s)

Actually as I look at this again, I think the springs need to go here…

Attached Files Image(s)

Thank you so much again, I will give this a try today.

Thanks for the help on this!!! I have restrung the dial and it works great. I did get some slippage on the tuning knob pullyy/sheeve but I took care of that with a little first aid tape on the inside of the pulley. Just need to finish replacing the remaining resistors and it will be good to go. The owner will be very happy now that it is working again. Thank you again for the help!!!!

So glad to hear that and am happy to help. I’ve finished my 29x and it works great, although I need to clean the tuning cap some more as I get a bit of noise when tuning. I removed it for cleaning during the restoration process and thought it was good to go, but I may need to hit it with more Deoxit.