Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA 6T

Hello Dale,
yes I Dymo and a brother printer that I use and one wire at a time isd the only way to go.
Chas , yes I too use Alpha brand wire and it is rated at 600 volts and some higher .
and yes I have noticed that with my wire from Newark .

For Sure Ron I always liked the older Rca service manuals they were over the top .
reminds me of the howard Sams manuals and it does seem that 600 volt wire is getting harder to buy.

Sincerely Richard

I had left the RCA with a good pal who was the right guy to restore this fine old set. About 8 days after I dropped it and spent some time with my friend he died very suddenly at home. I am still in shock, he was leaning in my truck window and speaking with my wife, we said so long and about a week later I heard through a ham group he was in hed had passed away. A ham friend of his retrieved my set and dropped it off here for me, I am not sure if I even want the thing. He had only been retired a year and was looking forward to working on all the stuff he had collected over the years, he gave me a tour of his ham shack which he was cleaning out and getting on the air again........awful. I hope he is at peace and that his wife comes to terms with everything. Paul

Tubetalk1

We never know when our time will come.

I am sorry to hear this, Paul.

Yes, I know that forums like this and the other one are built around this neat hobby, but after all, it's just "stuff" and it really doesn't matter in the end. So, I understand your current feelings. But you may change your mind later on, so don't do anything hasty - give it some time first before deciding to let go of the set, or not.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Sorry to learn about your friend passing. It was nice that you had a last chat so recently. We don’t always get that chance.

My condolences, Paul. Like Bob said, be thankful for the time you spent together so recently. I've always gone by the saying Benny Hill used ... "live each day as if it is your last, one day you'll be right" Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Thanks guys, I have lost several friends all over the last few months, this one was just really tough.

Paul

Tubetalk1

I am sorry for you loss, Paul and understand how you feel as my radio buddy died barely 48 hours after I last saw him in 2014. Icon_sad

No matter where you go, there you are.

Hi Paul, 

Prayers for your friend and his family!!

Our church choir has a tradition of singing at the funeral mass or any member or members family member who passes away.  We do at least 3 of these per year.  The average age of members of this choir is 65.

By keeping this set and either restoring the set or having the set restored, you honor your friend.  Remember, he wanted to fix this set for you.  Every time that I handle an antique radio that either was given to me as a child or that I purchased, I say a prayer for the person who gave it to me who has since deceased or the person who originally owned the radio that I bought at auction, as these people are most likely also deceased.  (Most of my radios are between 70 and 102 years old.)

I don't have a 6T but I have a 6BT (The 2V farm version with the same cabinet and bands.  I also have a 5T7.  Both of these are 1936 - 37 vintage.  Other than the grid cap wire, I do not remember any of it being plastic.  The warnings from the experts on this Phorum notwithstanding, these sets are usually easy fixes.  I recapped both the 6T7 and 6BT.  I am not one to usually stuff caps, but on one of these (I can't remember which one), the paper tube comes off the caps very easily and they may be the easiest paper caps to stuff.  The electrolytics require the procedures described so well by so many.  I have not bothered stuff the electrolytics, I usually install the new ones somewhere in the same area. 

The 6T circuit is similar in design to my Zenith 6S27 / 6S52 chassis.  The difference is that the 2 diodes are wired separately for detector vs AVC in the RCA.  In the Zenith, the 2 diodes in the 6H6 are parallel.  For some reason (biased detector?) it seems that these sets with the separate detector and 1st AF sound slightly less distorted than the combo detector / AVC / 1st AF tube.  I expect that this set would be a very good performer.

RCA and GE both pushed metal tubes in the 36 and 37 seasons.  I don't know who invented them, (may have been GE?) but I am sure that RCA took the credit.  That is the way that General Sarnoff and company rolled.  Wen I recently commented that Sylvania invented the 42, but RCA took credit for it, another member commented that RCA claims that they invented the electron!  How true!!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Paul, So sorry to hear about your friends passing. A lot of my friends are passing away also. you know we are getting to that certain age....... Say a prayer to your friend and I will do also.   Icon_sad