Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-608, re-installing BoL changer

New member here. This forum is a great resource, and I'm sure I'll be asking to pick the brains of everyone here - and for that, I thank all in advance.

The sad story: I have a 41-608 that I found while "tree-lawn shopping" (aka garbage-picking) about 30 years ago. When I rescued it, I found that someone had removed the Beam Of Light changer and mounting board, and replaced it with a wine rack, of sorts. Icon_cry There are also many other problems, but one thing at a time...

Here's the current issue. I found a BoL changer to install, but I'd like to duplicate the dimensions and cutout of the original mounting board as closely as possible. Does anyone have a 41-608 with the board easily accessible for measurement? A photo looking straight down on the board would be quite helpful too, as I could enlarge it to make a pattern for the cutout.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian, and welcome.

Is the BOL changer you found a 1941 changer, or a 1942 changer? And if it is a 1941, is it the standard changer (two posts on top) or the De Luxe Inter-Mix changer (three posts on top)?

If it is the standard 1941 changer, I can probably help you. I have a 41-610 from which the BOL changer (the standard type) has been removed. I can photograph the mounting board, furnish measurements of the opening, etc. Just let me know.

The original mounting board was 1 inch plywood. Of course, 1 inch plywood is no longer being made, so you can either use a single 3/4 inch board, or try gluing a 3/4 inch and 1/4 inch board together, then cut the hole for the changer.

If anyone has any comments on this issue, I too would like to hear them as I need to make a new mounting board for a 41-616.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for your quick response, Ron.

Being a newbie, I'm not positive, but I believe it's a 1942. I've (hopefully) attached a photo of it below.

-Brian

p.s. Perhaps I should have posted this in the Cabinet Restoration section? Didn't think about that before Icon_confused

Yes, that is a 1942 changer.

I do not know if the cutout for the standard 1941 changer is the same for the 42 changer or not. But the offer still holds - I'll try to take some pictures and get some dimensions today or tomorrow for the standard 41 changer mounting board.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you again for the quick reply, Ron.

Even if the 1941 cutout isn't -exactly- the same, it'll give me a general idea of how much clearance to give around the bits projecting through the base. I'll also post in the Sell/Trade section, just in case someone has a 1941 to trade for this one.

-Brian

Brian

Sorry I haven't taken the picture yet...I will try to do that this afternoon or evening.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN